Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Mounting A Scope

I have always got my scope mounted by a gunsmith and thought it's about time to do it myself.

Here's a video which demonstrates how to mount a scope with new rings, etc.

Just curious if you really have to go through the whole procedure with lapping bar and alignment bars? If so, I take it you just buy a kit?

User

Default Re: Mounting A Scope

Use this.

Thanks.

User

You are welcome. Ryan knows his stuff. The method for getting your cross hairs lined up perpendicular to the receiver is something I never thought of. All of his video series are very good. He covers everything. Some of his videos are done in west Texas and some in Arizona.

That gun and scope, drool...

User

Probably the most neglected part and rarely done is to evenly torque down the ring bases as well as the top halves of the rings.

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    Probably the most neglected part and rarely done is to evenly torque down the ring bases as well as the top halves of the rings.
    Do most of you guys who mount your own scopes own a torque wrench or do you just guess?

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Do most of you guys who mount your own scopes own a torque wrench or do you just guess?
    Torque wrench, allways.

This is one way to align the reticle to the bore :

https://ysterhout.net/docs/cant/index.html

Just note. You also cant just tighten one side and then the other. Even with a Torque wrench if you this. You will notice the gaps between the top and bottom half of ring on the left anf right side will differ. So you need to turn each a little bit and move to the next one.

You can also hang a heavy object on a string. Preferably at least 20m away from you. Level the rifle with a level. Then look through scope and adjust so the Vertical line runs on the rope hanging down.

Ive also seen video where you place rifle indoors. Put stock against wall. Hold torch against front of scope and shine into scope. And you will see the reticle shine against the wall. Then use level and see if level.

I've never thought much of those videos. Seen 'em all and none worth much. Yes you do need to lap rings. Every time. They are NEVER straight because manufacturing tolerances ensure that they can't possibly be accurate. Hence the need for lapping. See my other posts for more detail.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast