Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Mounting A Scope

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    I've never thought much of those videos. Seen 'em all and none worth much. Yes you do need to lap rings. Every time. They are NEVER straight because manufacturing tolerances ensure that they can't possibly be accurate. Hence the need for lapping. See my other posts for more detail.
    If you purchase newer high end Rings, you don't need to bother lapping them.

MPA, Tier One, Sphur etc

Here are the specs

Extreme bore size consistency within +/- .0002″
    Roundness and cylindricity of bore within .0002″

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

@edwill, even with high quality rings, you should still check for alignment before tightening.

I routinely lap rings, even good ones, before mounting a scope. Not much, 220 grit paste until about 70% of the anodising or coating is off. If lapped and properly torqued, the scope won’t move, or get damaged

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by tcbc View Post
    I routinely lap rings, even good ones, before mounting a scope.
    @TCBC. How do you lap the rings? Like in the video where that bar is pushed forward and backwards? Is that a special tool or file? Always gave my FA's to a gunsmith so far but good to know the procedures and the How to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    @TCBC. How do you lap the rings? Like in the video where that bar is pushed forward and backwards? Is that a special tool or file? Always gave my FA's to a gunsmith so far but good to know the procedures and the How to.
    You can buy a kit that has everything you need. Thinking of getting one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwill View Post

MPA, Tier One, Sphur etc

Here are the specs

False. It's not the concentricity or paralellness of the rings themselves, it's the receivers, bases, and other parts of rings. They lean backwards, forwards, sideways, twisted, you name it. I guarantee that any pair of rings you care to nominate will show the need for lapping at the first stroke of the rod. But let me express a bit of irritation. I'm disappointed that my book didn't sell, but my real irritation is the number of guys who argue with me when I've done it MANY times and most of them haven't done it at all. Let me say it again - I've never installed a pair of rings that didn't need lapping - not one. Please tell me guys, is experience worth nothing? And if it isn't why do I bother giving you the benefit of it?

Quote Originally Posted by tcbc View Post
    @edwill, even with high quality rings, you should still check for alignment before tightening.

I routinely lap rings, even good ones, before mounting a scope. Not much, 220 grit paste until about 70% of the anodising or coating is off. If lapped and properly torqued, the scope won’t move, or get damaged

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There you go. That's exactly it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    I recently explained it all in the thread "HELP my scope moved." And several times in the past in a lot of detail.

Default Mounting A Scope

Dick did the proper description. I use a wheelers kit, (in the photo I attached earlier). I first use the alignment bars to adjust the bases, if required, then lightly clamp the top ring on the bar, having put a bit of paste on first. Use a combination of round movement and fore and aft.

Then progressively tighten the top ring, while lapping. Important to keep the rings on same base and handness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Edwill View Post

MPA, Tier One, Sphur etc

Here are the specs

Correct. But it needs to be mentioned that these are one piece mounts for a picatinny rail. The only way to go if your rifle has a rail.

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Correct. But it needs to be mentioned that these are one piece mounts for a picatinny rail. The only way to go if your rifle has a rail.
    It will never be OK as long as the base and rings are separate items, whether it is a one piece base or not, or whether it is piccatinny or not. The only circumstance I can think of in which a pair of rings will be parallel and concentric out of the box is where a one piece base and the two bottom halves of the rings have been made from a single piece of metal and the rings have been machined or reamed together. I'm sure there must be such a product out there but I've never seen one. But why struggle looking for a hard to find product or pay a huge price for mounts that will need lapping no matter how expensive they are, when lapping is so simple and the result so precise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast