Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Converting a Winchester single shot 12 Bore into a classic big game rifle.

There are a lot of second hand single shot 12 Bore shotguns going for next to nothing. I have a Winchester, with a 32 inch barrel, which is beautifully balanced.

I started thinking along the lines of dropping a barrel into the shortened shotgun barrel. The profile of the barrel would be cut to fit into the shotgun barrel, so at the back, it would take on the shape of a shotshell. Probably 24 inches would be the ideal barrel length.

I think this would make a neat single shot big bore rifle. The change could be permanent, if the barrel were silver soldered into the shotgun barrel.

For the calibre, I was thinking along the lines of a classic wide rimmed cartridge like the 9.3x74, to make the extraction modification easier. It would be marvelous if the action and stock could manage one of the bigger cartridges, like a 450 or 470 nitro express.

I would like to hear if my idea above is feasible, and what problems could be encountered. Thanks.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Converting a Winchester single shot 12 Bore into a classic big game rifle.

You could possibly re-purpose for any caliber that runs up to shotshell pressure, which is around one fifth of center-fire rifle pressure.

There is no big bore cartridge with a chamber than can fit in a shotgun barrel.

User

Default Re: Converting a Winchester single shot 12 Bore into a classic big game rifle.

Your idea is indeed feasable. There a 2 ways of doing this conversion: You could insert a barrel liner inside the current 12 bore barrel or just replace the whole barrel. The second option would retain the 12 bore barrel, making it a switch-barrel gun. The cost would be about the same.

If you decide to insert a liner into the shot barrel, I don't know how the license for the now unusable barrel will be cancelled.

The choice of caliber would depend on the pressures and "bolt thrust" the shotgun action can safely handle. I think the "nitro" calibers would be a bit too much for it.
    Also consider the 45-70. It is a low-pressure rimmed round, so the conversion should not be difficult, and ammo and reloading components are available.

Another option would be to fit rifle sights and get a slug load that shoots well...

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Your idea is indeed feasable. There a 2 ways of doing this conversion: You could insert a barrel liner inside the current 12 bore barrel or just replace the whole barrel. The second option would retain the 12 bore barrel, making it a switch-barrel gun. The cost would be about the same.

If you decide to insert a liner into the shot barrel, I don't know how the license for the now unusable barrel will be cancelled.

The choice of caliber would depend on the pressures and "bolt thrust" the shotgun action can safely handle. I think the "nitro" calibers would be a bit too much for it.
    Also consider the 45-70. It is a low-pressure rimmed round, so the conversion should not be difficult, and ammo and reloading components are available.

Another option would be to fit rifle sights and get a slug load that shoots well...
    My idea was to fit a new barrel blank into the shotgun barrel, and cancel the shotgun license, thus creating a new rifle. The barrel insert would then be the same thickness as the inside of the shotgun barrel.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

I think for the cost and effort involved, it’s better to look for used Ruger No1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned

An American Gunsiter with forum handle "Abrum" converted a 10 Gauge shotgun. He gave a good description and shot a buffalo with his. Here he mentions some of it, but I think there is a better thread somewhere.

https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...ewpost&t=96531

https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...ewpost&t=87251

User

What model Winchester is it?

User

Quote Originally Posted by roy.herselman View Post
    My idea was to fit a new barrel blank into the shotgun barrel, and cancel the shotgun license, thus creating a new rifle. The barrel insert would then be the same thickness as the inside of the shotgun barrel.
    There are 2 things to consider with this route:

1. The barrel liner will be fairly thin, even if the 12 barrel is reamed out to accommodate a thicker barrel. The difference in diameters between the new chamber and the 12 gauge chamber will not be much, and that will determine how much pressure the barrel will be able to handle. If it is pressed in tightly, which is not without it's risks, then the outer sleeve should be able to help contain the pressure. This is not an easy thing to accomplish, so it won't be cheap.

2. To be able to cancel a license, you will most likely have to hand in something for destruction. Try explaining to SAPS that you want to cancel the license, but you want to keep all the parts...

Hence my suggestion to have a complete barrel made up and fitted to the action. This will not confuse the CFR and will be the safer route. Cost should be the same or less, so I can not see any reason to go the other route.

I have not dealt with him personally, but the first gunsmith that comes to mind for this kind of project would be Craig Clintworth from Mkonto.

Banned

Speak to Gert Odendaal, here on site - I believe he has done this before using a S/S shotgun as the star weapon.
    Gert knows about these things - he knows a lot about these things and is very friendly, approachable about what he knows.

Look up Gert here on site or call me and I will ask if I can forward his cell.

Banned

Google "converting a shotgun to a double rifle". There seems to be lots of info available.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast