Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Incorrect description on license

Please help....

I have just bought a 2nd hand semi-auto shotgun and have yet to start the paperwork.
    After paying for the firearm, the dealer said "as an added bonus, this shotgun has been licensed as a pump, which will make it much easier to license". The shotgun is also on the SAPS system as a pump.

This sounds wrong.
    I do not want a license to be incorrect and I would hate to have a firearm confiscated, during an inspection because it does not match the license card.

Am I able to change the details with my license application and a gunsmith report or do I need my DFO to get the system updated/changed before I put in my application?

The application will be under Section 16 and DH.

Banned

Default Re: Incorrect description on license

I have the worlds only Remington Smith and Wesson 357, I also had a Side by Side 357 Astra (S/S - Stainless Steel)

My father had a 38 Sp serial number 041 323795 (our telephone number years back) what a mess when he died.

The original paperwork for my antique side by side 12 Ga described the firearm as a "blunderbuss".

Get a gunsmiths report and do a notification of incorrect information.

Submit simultaneously with your licence application.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

The gun shop could be in trouble for not doing things correctly when they should know better and (according to my DFO) errors like that are apparently supposed to be resolved by the seller, not buyer, prior to the sale.

Having said all that, I would just go along with SSP's advice, get a gunsmith's report and submit it with the application. They might put your application on hold until such time as the error has been rectified. Last time I had an error rectified it took less than a week but not sure if this is always the case.

Can't believe there are gun shops that are so irresponsible and do things like that deliberately.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    The gun shop could be in trouble for not doing things correctly when they should know better and (according to my DFO) errors like that are apparently supposed to be resolved by the seller, not buyer, prior to the sale.

Having said all that, I would just go along with SSP's advice, get a gunsmith's report and submit it with the application. They might put your application on hold until such time as the error has been rectified. Last time I had an error rectified it took less than a week but not sure if this is always the case.
    Thanks!
    This seems like the easiest path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Can't believe there are gun shops that are so irresponsible and do things like that deliberately.
    The irresponsible party in this instance is the registrar, first for having the wrong info on the register and second for not allowing the dealer to fix the problem in a relatively easy manner. The dealer is the victim here, not the perp.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I have tried correcting the license for my 10/22 that is described as a bolt action. My DFO refuses. He made phone calls and apparently a .22 LR caliber cannot be be a SLR. I seriously doubt that if the firearm and license gets inspected that there will be any issues. The serial numbers and names etc are all correct.

User

.22lr can definitely be an SLR.
    You will have to submit a correction of details form,and you will in all likelyhood need a gunsmiths report too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast