Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default So I took the wife to a gun shop...

After many years, she has agreed to get her own defensive handgun. I think the attempted break-in at our house 3am one morning while I was out of town, probably had something to do with it.

She did her competency, paperwork handed in, now we wait...

I started checking out different options. She is familiar with what I shoot, (g23gen4 & g17gen5). She is also familiar with a friend's CZ75. But all these options are to big for her. She shoots them, but she won't carry them. So I said, these in my opinion are the options...

• G43
    • G26
    • Sig P365
    • S&W Shield
    • CZ P10S
    • CZ P10M

To be honest, I was hoping, and kind-of nudging her in the CZ/Glock direction. Not because I think the other options mentioned are inferior at all, but I am worried about after sales serviceability, parts availability, the usual, mostly South African gun owner issues.

I think the G43 might be a bit hard to handle. I even told her maybe we should buy two, a G43 and G19, the latter only to be used as "sport" and "at home", while the G43 can be concealed, and worn daily.

So we are at the gun shop, we look at everything on the list except the Sig. I liked the S&W, I liked it a lot, to be honest. She didn't. It felt noticeably "heavier" than the others. Not sure if it was our perception, or if it in fact is heavier? She wasn't overly impressed with the G26. Then the guy brought out something I thought was a gimmicky stupid thing, thus never even considered it...

Out comes the G43x. Immediately she said this is the one she wants. This is the one she likes the most. Unfortunately, the gun-shop only has two in stock at the moment, a desert-tan (FDE) one, and a pink one. She hates pink. So her name is on the list to receive a black one when new stock arrives.

The problem I now sit with, is that, I also like this little pistol... a LOT. The fde colour works for me...

I think I need to go buy it?

User

Default Re: So I took the wife to a gun shop...

If you have the money, then YES....

BUT, look at the G48 before getting yourself the 43X, they use the same mags which makes range days easier, If you carry Appendix then the 48 is the way to go for sure.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post

BUT, look at the G48 before getting yourself the 43X, they use the same mags which makes range days easier, If you carry Appendix then the 48 is the way to go for sure.
    Agree, exactly the route I went after having a chat to BigT.

For the wife, the HS11 seems like a very good proposition at the moment. Considering to add it or sell wifes G42 for the Hellcat.

User

I'll give a look, and yes, I do carry appendix mostly. Why do you say the 48, with a longer slide, is better suited for appendix, than the 43x would be? Or am I understanding you incorrectly?

Thanks .

User

You understand me perfectly, for AIWB slightly longer is better, because the gun is less likely to topple over your belt due to the leverage... G19 and G47 length is great for AIWB

User

You understand me perfectly, for AIWB slightly longer is better, because the gun is less likely to topple over your belt due to the leverage... G19 and G47 length is great for AIWB

Gotcha, thanks. I'll go check it out.

You know that in the States they got steel 15rd mags for the G43X?

i tend to disagree with the G48 being easier to appendix then the 43X, i have a 43X and if one buys a good holster it is a non issue, i think that the longer slide would be more of an issue when carrying appendix, it would certainly make the longer muzzle dig into my groin as i carry 1.30 to 2 o clock appendix, i bought a garrity gunleather custom holster and had it brought into the country from the states, this is probably the main reason why i carry my 43X over anything else is that the gun holster combo is brilliant. i am not knocking the G48, just do not see the logic here with regards to appendix carry specifically.

User

Quote Originally Posted by andy_760901 View Post
    i tend to disagree with the G48 being easier to appendix then the 43X, i have a 43X and if one buys a good holster it is a non issue, i think that the longer slide would be more of an issue when carrying appendix, it would certainly make the longer muzzle dig into my groin as i carry 1.30 to 2 o clock appendix, i bought a garrity gunleather custom holster and had it brought into the country from the states, this is probably the main reason why i carry my 43X over anything else is that the gun holster combo is brilliant. i am not knocking the G48, just do not see the logic here with regards to appendix carry specifically.
    Struggling to find the video explaining it, longer slide lets the grip push into your body more, conceals better, they make a comparison with a sailing yacht, the longer the fin keel, the more stable the yacht on the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I did that last year. That was a mistake. She wanted her own AR for around the house. She picked out a FN 15 shorty.
    Then I caught her stealing my magpul mags and swiping a Meprolight red dot off of one of the older ARs. Funniest thing ever.

Maybe in last 25 years I taught her too much but maybe not the way things are going over here. Pretty handy to have a good backup shooter since the antifas and blm started doing ITCPs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast