User

Default FN FAL R1 Barrel question

I have an FN FAL fitted with a R1 barrel and matching upper receiver. The barrel has the "P" in oval proof mark and usual inspector stamps. The barrel serial number is 305XXX, which according to the "Firearms Developed and Manufactured in Southern Africa" book would make it LEW Third Configuration - Second Series production.

Attachment 32284

My question to the knowledgeable - is an R1 barrel bore chrome lined? My interest lies in the fact that a chrome bore is more resistant to corrosive powder than a non-lined bore.

The chamber looks to be hard chromed.

Attachment 32285

It is difficult to tell when shining a led torch down the barrel as it just reflects the white light as per below photo.

Attachment 32287

Attached is a photo of the muzzle end of the barrel taken with a cell phone camera (challenging) in natural light, where the bore does not appear to be chromed.

Attachment 32286

Default Re: FN FAL R1 Barrel question

Chamber yes, bore no.

User

Quote Originally Posted by paulnb View Post
    ...My question to the knowledgeable - is an R1 barrel bore chrome lined? My interest lies in the fact that a chrome bore is more resistant to corrosive powder than a non-lined bore...
    Corrosive powder was discontinued long before the 7,62x51 was developed. Corrosive primers were used for longer, but were also discontinued in the western hemisphere long ago. Some east block ammo still used corrosive primers recently, so that may still be around, but very unlikely in 7,62x51 calibre.

You should be careful and clean religiously after firing some modern tracer ammo. Nothing to do with the powder, but the tracer compound may leave some corrosive residue.

Barrel bores are quite difficult to chrome line and even if done properly may not be as accurate as non-lined barrels. Just clean and apply a thin film of protective oil at regular intervals.

User

I have read that it is difficult to get a uniform chrome lining on a long barrel - the plating tends to be thinner in the middle section. I usually give the barrel bore a squirt of Ballistol after finishing at the range, then clean the rifle properly at home.

A-R, what is your opinion on the corrosiveness of Norinco steel cased copper washer 7.62x51 ammunition? It works well enough but does leave a lot of powder residue. If it was available to buy in SA I would happily use PMP 7.62 NATO milsurplus as my preferred choice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by paulnb View Post
    I have read that it is difficult to get a uniform chrome lining on a long barrel - the plating tends to be thinner in the middle section. I usually give the barrel bore a squirt of Ballistol after finishing at the range, then clean the rifle properly at home.

A-R, what is your opinion on the corrosiveness of Norinco steel cased copper washer 7.62x51 ammunition? It works well enough but does leave a lot of powder residue. If it was available to buy in SA I would happily use PMP 7.62 NATO milsurplus as my preferred choice.
    I have a few of them in my safe, but have not used 1 of them yet. I would clean the barrel a little better after using them, meaning I would clean it again a day after shooting them. Not that I can prove that they are corrosive, just being careful. Oil and 2x4's are easier to replace than a barrel.

They seem fine. Dirty yes but not corrosive. I find that a few brass PMP etc at the end of a session helps clean out the barrel and gas system a bit.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    I find that a few brass PMP etc at the end of a session helps clean out the barrel and gas system a bit.
    Thanks - great idea!