Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Options for long range precision rifles

Hi all

Recently, I've been reading more about long range precision shooting and the rifles used. This was due to a gunshop advertising the Howa APC in 6.5 CM. That got me thinking. What would you guys say is a good option for a total beginner to start with in long range precision shooting? I imagine it won't be something that is hella expensive for a first timer but who knows?

So, please let me know your thoughts on what a newbie might consider as a first rifle and in which caliber (very important). Would you buy a complete gun, like a RPR, or would you buy the action and put it in a chassis? If so, which chassis?

Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Default Re: Options for long range precision rifles

For what type of long range. Long range, Extreme long range, PRS/NRL type shooting?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Edwill View Post
    For what type of long range. Long range, Extreme long range, PRS/NRL type shooting?

Honestly, I haven't gotten that far into the research yet. Shall we say PRS matches, to shoot to 1km at most? I don't actually know... Maybe you know better Edwill?

Stay away from APC. It's not great for PRS type. If you keen to start shooting, Howa 6/6.5Creed in a chassis would be good option. Then the best glass you can afford. Good glass will cost 2-3 times more than rifle setup, not to mention decent rings etc

User

Try some stocks / chassis first, we have a wide choice, e.g. Gunwarrior (and Warren is a top bloke). I had a more traditional stock build by Armtec for my LOP etc.

It's a rabbit hole that will suck you in and not let you out again.

User

If you’re on a budget and decide on a Howa, the Hogue stock can work as a starting point. A little reinforcement in the for-end and some added weight in the butt and you’re good to go. You can always add a new stock or chassis later.

User

I don’t think there is such a thing as a budget long range rifle....

I have just been down this rabbit hole and the costs rise quickly. If you start with a good platform and have basic shooting skills, you will upgrade parts quickly to improve accuracy and consistency.

I started with a Remington 700ADL (great value and super accurate straight out the box), 6,5CM.
    Add Vortex Viper HST, precision rings, then a suppressor, bipod and trigger upgrade.

I am now considering a stock upgrade. This is purely due to my Remington having a blind magazine and can only be loaded from the top. The picatinny rail makes loading and unloading cumbersome.

I have yet to look at reloading and am using Remington store bought ammo. I can comfortably shoot accurately out to 500m without an issue and haven’t been able to test further distances yet due to lack of facilities in PE.

I have spent a fair amount and would probably be in the exact same place financially, if I had started with a higher spec platform for long range shooting.
    Mine is 100% perfect now and fills my needs.

Good luck, it’s great fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by pbuitendag View Post
    Hi all

Recently, I've been reading more about long range precision shooting and the rifles used. This was due to a gunshop advertising the Howa APC in 6.5 CM. That got me thinking. What would you guys say is a good option for a total beginner to start with in long range precision shooting? I imagine it won't be something that is hella expensive for a first timer but who knows?

So, please let me know your thoughts on what a newbie might consider as a first rifle and in which caliber (very important). Would you buy a complete gun, like a RPR, or would you buy the action and put it in a chassis? If so, which chassis?

Thanks all.

Take a look at the 5 part series by Phillip Velayo in this playlist. Might give you some food for thought.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...bldRh8_MGklSBA

I don’t know your level of proficiency, but if you are starting out, I would suggest get yourself a RPR 308, spend more money on scope and keep some cash for match grade ammu. Lots of ammu and range time!

The 308 Win or 7.62 NATO ammu is cheaper than 6.5CM because of sheer volumes and you can buy excellent quality at lower price. It’s important, unless you have the time to reload.

I have been shooting for many years, but I got into long-range circa 2014. Currently I run RPR 308 with NF 5-25 atacr. I shoot as well as 6.5CM guys up to 600m. At 1000m the biggest challenge for me is reading wind. One can dial-up elevation, but you have to read changing winds in real-time.

I want a new chassis and new action, but down-deep inside, I know that what I have still surpasses my abilities.

You must remember the equation is:
    (1-MOA rifle) x (1-MOA ammu) x (1-MOA glass) x (1-MOA operator) = 1-MOA shot

In my particular case, I am well aware that the weakest point is the wet-ware, the human operating the equipment.
    Second weakest point is the ammu, I buy match grade 168gr, but occasionally it doesn’t agree with the harmonics of my barrel and it lands +1-MOA
    The third is the rifle, RPR is a sweet beginner/intermediate level rifle.
    The fourth is my glass. NF is the most expensive part of my setup :)

I bought a Remington 700VSSF in 1998 in 308.

Been a incredibly accurate rifle over the years for hunting and the odd range shoot. Not shot incredibly much over almost 20 years with it.

Then I decided to get to work on it.

I ordered a MDT HS3 chasis from Canada. This made a huge difference in shooting the rifle more accurate. It was like a new rifle.

I then fitted a Lynx LX3 5-30 on it. This is truly an incredible and well over looked scope. Its incredibly clear over long range. And on par with way more expensive makes.

The last step I did was to fit a Bix n Andy trigger from bullet central. Now this by far pushed the accuracy boundary of this rifle incredibly high. This trigger is worth every cent and truly amazing. Currently got set at 400grams. Can go down to 1 ounce +-35gram.

On range I only shoot of my 6-9 Rudolph Bipod and mono Accushot rear pod held in left hand to adjust height.

Honestly this rifle shoots where I put the crosshair. And does it boringly accurate.

However I also put time into my reloads. As I sonic clean. Tumble. Anneal. Measure and measure and measure some more. I also test concentracity with a Hornady concentracity tool which is the only one that you can actually correct any runout to 0.000 or 0.001. Other makes can only show you runout and not correct it.

Any case I dont compete. Just wanted to upgrade this rifle into a long range shooter to enjoy it. But its so boringly accurate. That shooting at 100m is a waste of time. As its just one hole 1/4MOA.

Most competitive shooters do go 6.5. But I personally prefer 308 way over a 6.5 for my shooting and needs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast