User

Default Re: Options for long range precision rifles

Sorry, i read long range precision...

I will summon her... the dino-slaya
    Attachment 32400

User

Quote Originally Posted by Electroal View Post
    I have just started down the rabbit hole of building a budget rifle. I want to use it PRS style matches. Bought a Howa 6.5Creedmoor, 24 inch bull barreled action. Chassis probably will be an Invictus. Scope will be 5-25×56.lots of options. R18k to R25k range. Add scope base, rings, arca rail. Atlas bipod. Muzzle break. Gunsmith to thread the barrel and tune the trigger. All that is going to cost about another R45k over and above the howa. That is all considered budget build. Eina. Suppose I have 6 to 8 month to save and buy all I need. Not even including all the reloading goodies I still need to get.
    Hi Elctroal,

Just a heads up regarding that rabbit hole....

Initially I only wanted a 6.5 for 100 - 1000m shooting occasionally...

I noted that I browsed through different scope options, accessories, addons, reloading equipment etc. and then you find yourself making a spreadsheet of items as you go along...

..You most likely have listed the items you are looking for in some sort of listing system..

If I can advise when you find yourself doing this, list items as things you need and things you want and start off with the things you need to get going as priority.

So... to elaborate on the rabbit hole... please understand this correctly, I am a hardworking individual whom does NOT have unlimited funds, so this is a bitter pill for me to swallow.

Currently the rabbit hole has costed me R156K from Feb, I have purchased the 6.5 and another rifle and spent about 42k from licensing applications to reloading equipment, safe, storage, transport, license photos only to name a few...

Invest in a rifle, get a scope on it and take it to the range, work from there and see what you need!

Al I am trying to say is that, don't get sidetracked like me.

- I am all for learning from my as well as others' mistakes, so this is my confession to assist with assuring you make the decisions that will put you on the range soonest.

User

Brillo. Thanks. I am not the spreadsheet type. Except for my HR work. I know exactly what I am going to use the rifle for and how far I want to push her. Still need to find a name for her. My P07 is Suzy. As much as I am looking forward to getting her. I am more looking forward to getting the license for my dad's Sauer & Sohn p90, 30-06. Cant wait to finally be able to go hunt when and where I want to. It has small Swarovski habight 4-32 scope. Beautiful glass and can comfortably shoot 200m with factory ammo.
    The Creedmoor is is going to take long to build as funds permit. But wont mind pushing a mile with it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Electroal View Post
    Brillo. Thanks. I am not the spreadsheet type. Except for my HR work. I know exactly what I am going to use the rifle for and how far I want to push her. Still need to find a name for her. My P07 is Suzy. As much as I am looking forward to getting her. I am more looking forward to getting the license for my dad's Sauer & Sohn p90, 30-06. Cant wait to finally be able to go hunt when and where I want to. It has small Swarovski habight 4-32 scope. Beautiful glass and can comfortably shoot 200m with factory ammo.
    The Creedmoor is is going to take long to build as funds permit. But wont mind pushing a mile with it.
    Hi Electroal,

Wonderful to know firstly that you know what you would like to do, because if you start to wander-off it becomes costly.

I'm sure you will get that license approved swiftly & I'd definitely agree, Swarovski overall good glass.

Good luck and keep us posted with the developments!!

I'm keen to follow this thread as I'm completely undecided on what I want to get. I was a rifle that can shoot accurately out to 500 or 600m and be able to hit gongs out to 1000m perhaps. I love the idea of competing in prs matches but I don't believe I'll have time and money to training for this. So I want something that I can take to the range and shoot out to a 1000m. I won't have an endless budget. I really like the Sako TRG rifles and also the MDT XRS chassis. I'm just torn between what calibre. Either a 260, 308 or 6.5. They all have their benefits and cons. This might sound arrogant but I don't want a howa barrel action so not sure what to go for. I won't have the money to do a full custom action and barrel. Might have to find a really good condition rifle and then mount it in the mdt chassis. So many options. I'm tending towards a 308 based on cost and barrel life, although their are less bullet options apparently. Open to thoughts and suggestions

User

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post
    I'm keen to follow this thread as I'm completely undecided on what I want to get. I was a rifle that can shoot accurately out to 500 or 600m and be able to hit gongs out to 1000m perhaps. I love the idea of competing in prs matches but I don't believe I'll have time and money to training for this. So I want something that I can take to the range and shoot out to a 1000m. I won't have an endless budget. I really like the Sako TRG rifles and also the MDT XRS chassis. I'm just torn between what calibre. Either a 260, 308 or 6.5. They all have their benefits and cons. This might sound arrogant but I don't want a howa barrel action so not sure what to go for. I won't have the money to do a full custom action and barrel. Might have to find a really good condition rifle and then mount it in the mdt chassis. So many options. I'm tending towards a 308 based on cost and barrel life, although their are less bullet options apparently. Open to thoughts and suggestions
    If you don't want a Howa, go for a Tikka or Remington. All three have fair amount of aftermarket parts(stocks/chasis, triggers, rails, magazines, bottom metals) readily available in SA.

Personally, don't have any experience with Remingtons. Own a few Howas and have shot with quite a few Tikkas. Both shoot well out of the box, Tikka action just smoother.

Plenty of bullets available for 308, probably more than 6.5mm.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

thanks Bonedoc. I just saw an article about one of the guys that won one of the classes at the american nationals and he did it with a 308. Think it was mid range at 600m

Hi guys. I've posted before on another thread about potentially looking into LR shooting and i just cant find that thread but anyway... Ive seen this ad on gunafrica and want to know if its a good starter setup? What will i need to add on or change besides a good chassis?

https://www.gunafrica.co.za/classifi...oze-72425.html

User

No, you can build something better from new for that price. 1st turn-off is the scope.

LOL. I just posted the same in another thread.

Ive had a Remington VSSF 308 since the 90's. At one time fitted a MDT HS3 stock on it. Ase Utra and Bix n Andy Trigger. That rifle on a bad day will shoot Half MOA with 155gr A-Max.

I now bought a Sako 85 in 308. Went shooting on Saturday for first time with it. Took abot 4 -5 shots to sight in scope.

Shot the below 3 shot group with a stock Standard Sako. And Ammunition I actually loaded for my Remington. So not at all loaded for this Sako.

After this Group I shot another one. Then took on Gongs at 300, 350 and 500m.

Absolutely love the Rudolph Scope on it in FFP. Does not have a cluttered XMas tree design

But its incredibly promising for a Stock Standard rifle.

New GRS stock should be here mid Sept.

NB: Follow the above advice posted by another member. Get rifle first before buying extras. Then go shoot and learn to shoot. Then ge what you need. Dont buy because you see posts on YouTube. YouTube channels are sponsored and promote products as they get income from it. So they will sell you stuff you dont need. The most critical thing a shooter need is practice and someone to show you how to shoot correctly.

Attachment 34839Attachment 34840

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast