Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Options for long range precision rifles

Howa was available with a GRS stock option. See if any are still in available somewhere. Caliber is not important, anything from 243 to 308 is fine for the purpose.

That would be the easiest and cheapest way of getting a competition ready rifle and stock. Alternatively, buy the Howa, and replace the Hogue stock with one from Armtec. Armtec stocks are the local equivalent of GRS, they just cost less. The nice thing with Armtec is you can opt for a custom bedding job for the barrelled action.

For PRS, you would need new bottom metal with at least one 5 round mag. A good muzzle break is very nice to have, Gunwarrior is an excellent, affordable product. Most rifles in PRS are fitted with a brake.

You will need a bipod, scope rail, rings, and a scope. The best value starting scope for PRS on the market today is the Lynx LX3 2.5-15x50 Tactical. You can use that on a 10 MOA rail for 45 MOA total elevation. It is probably better glass than any Vortex model - I know the LX3 5-30 definitely is, and the 2.5-15 has the same quality glass as the 5-30. 15x magnification with good glass is good to 1200 meters.

That's the most economical equipment setup for a new shooter, and it will take a long time, if ever, for you to exceed the capability of the platform.

User

I've seen the Remington 700 ADL Tactical doing the rounds the past year or three for around R10k. It's a 24" heavy barrel, Remington 700 action, already threaded with a thread cap. It comes in a stock that works (but it's not good) but Rem 700 SA stocks are everywhere. That's where I would start, one of those rifles in 6.5CM. Bases and rings are pretty cheap (Lynx steel bases and rings for the Rem 700 can be bought for around R1k) and you get conversion kits to make it magazine compatible (from Magpul, for the most part).

Rem 700 is a nice platform as accessories are all over, finish is good, quality is good and, well, it works.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Howa was available with a GRS stock option. See if any are still in available somewhere. Caliber is not important, anything from 243 to 308 is fine for the purpose.
    Wildman had the Rem 700 with the same option the other day. Rem 700 24" heavy barrel in a chassis for something like R16k. Might even have been less. BARGAIN, but they sold out like hotcakes (understandably).

User

For a beginner, I would suggest something like a Howa 308 Varmint barreled action in a Warrior chassis. No, this not what the champs use, but they have likely shot out the barrel on something similar before they became champs.
    Once your barrel is worn out, you can just replace that and retain the chassis. Yes, you are indeed likely to shoot a barrel (or 2) out before you become a top contender in the sport.

Another option is a 223 with 1:8" twist varmint barrel. This animal can outshoot a 308 and be supersonic out to 1000m. You have to reload, but the shot per cost is decent compared to other options.

Both the 308 and fast-twist 223 barrels will outlast any of the 6,5mm options by far, helping to keep the cost down and allowing you more practise. Have I mentioned that you will need to practice?

By the time you become competitive, you will have developed a better taste for what you like and what you want.

User

What is the expected barrel life of a fast-twist .223 when loading for long range shooting?

User

These guys are in Aus but give down to earth advice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    What is the expected barrel life of a fast-twist .223 when loading for long range shooting?
    It should be the same as for slow-twist rifles shooting 50-55gn bullets, or longer. 223 barrel life is generally very good, but obviously this varies between makes and even between individual barrels of the same make.

User

I have just started down the rabbit hole of building a budget rifle. I want to use it PRS style matches. Bought a Howa 6.5Creedmoor, 24 inch bull barreled action. Chassis probably will be an Invictus. Scope will be 5-25×56.lots of options. R18k to R25k range. Add scope base, rings, arca rail. Atlas bipod. Muzzle break. Gunsmith to thread the barrel and tune the trigger. All that is going to cost about another R45k over and above the howa. That is all considered budget build. Eina. Suppose I have 6 to 8 month to save and buy all I need. Not even including all the reloading goodies I still need to get.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Electroal View Post
    That is all considered budget build. Eina.
    Yup, and then the top shooters easily have 3 rifles ready... Wish I had that sort of income

User

Quote Originally Posted by Electroal View Post
    I have just started down the rabbit hole of building a budget rifle. I want to use it PRS style matches. Bought a Howa 6.5Creedmoor, 24 inch bull barreled action. Chassis probably will be an Invictus. Scope will be 5-25×56.lots of options. R18k to R25k range. Add scope base, rings, arca rail. Atlas bipod. Muzzle break. Gunsmith to thread the barrel and tune the trigger. All that is going to cost about another R45k over and above the howa. That is all considered budget build. Eina. Suppose I have 6 to 8 month to save and buy all I need. Not even including all the reloading goodies I still need to get.
    Leaving the muzzle fully functional would likely give better results.

No use spending all that money on expensive accessories and sit with a broken muzzle.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast