Default Buying a firearm during amnesty period

Hi all

My grandfather owns a revolver. It is the first gun I ever fired in my life.
    Unfortunately it recently came to our attention that he was not able to renew his licence due to his health.
    Is there any way to transfer the ownership to me (having it stored at a gun dealer while I apply for a licence or something), or should he just hand it in at SAPS during the amnesty?

Thanks in advance
    Christiaan

User

Default Re: Buying a firearm during amnesty period

Extract from a post by Martin Hood:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00033901988284

"The amnesty provisions of the act allow anyone to apply for a licence through the amnesty but saps have on a policy basis decided the following.
    [1] Only holders of an expired licence may apply thus excluding transfer of a firearm through the amnesty to anyone else
    [2] if you cannot prove ownership, subject to [1] you may not apply
    [3] If a person allowed a licence to expire before they died then that firearm cannot be transferred to an heir and must be destroyed
    [4]If you obtained what was previously a legal firearm [eg from someone who has immigrated or who had a temporary import permit ] you may not use the amnesty to legalise and transfer the firearm .
    My instructions are to challenge these policies and make saps comply with section 139 of the FCA."

Practically, you have two options:
    1. Apply and see if SAPS accept the application. If not, wait for the outcome of Martin's case. Who knows how long this will take.
    2. Get your grandfather to apply himself. Once approved, you apply. This will take longer. I am trying to do this, the applications are sitting on 150+ days and are still sitting at provincial.

Either way, get your competency application in as soon as possible, if you don't already have it.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk