Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default How old is old and when are you old or to old?

Just got home from hunting, showered and will pack away tomorrow.
    I have never packed away "tomorrow" before, never.
    Started at 04H00 this morning and will likely just make it to bed by 24H00 and I can feel it.
    Today was also another first, I was referred to as Mdala bythe new hands on the farm, all in great respect and not joking fooling around.
    I nearly blikksemed of the bakkie because my right leg isplaying up again and my foot hooked on bakkie rail, the farm hands were all"is Madala OK?" "Madal moenie seer kry nie"
    I listened to this with a slight amusement, I am only 24 perhaps 30 years old and although the calendar tells me 52 years have passed since I started disappointing the good peoples of this planet, I still have ambitions of seducing Brook Shields and perhaps one day becoming a famous racing driver, old? - Not me.

It was 42 deg C on farm today and I felt it, a few times after sitting in the shade to glass a area I really felt like just sitting a bit longer, I even told myself there is as much chance of a animal coming to meas there is of me finding the animal by walking. I slept a bit today under a tree, wasted good hunting time sleeping, I always said " we do not stop for lunch, we do not stop to rest, when you with me you eat, rest while looking through the binno's", today was not the first time either.

I have noticed as well that I am beginning to dread packing and unpacking, almost, just starting to sometimes feel like it’s too much effort, same with handling carcass's, some hunts I just feel it’s becoming too much.

I am about to pour a beer, make my notes and go to bed, just a year or two ago I would go out to the local for a few beers and tell the mates about the hunt, I am just too tired now.

Am I getting old? It cannot be, not me, I said it would never happen, not to me.

Default Re: How old is old and when are you old or to old?

You just realised that are "feeling your age" Next thing you will start talking about "the good old days" or "when we...." However do not despair, this is normal. Adjust to what you can or can not do but keep on hunting. Do not kill your spirit.

Banned

Awake and stiff I am, actually only got to bed 00H47 .
    I think that perhaps I am getting sick or something, this could not have happened so over night.

I am starting to re-enjoy the hunt and redoing the sounds that were so abundant this hunt, it was a very "full" hunt with more than usual birds and insects about - must be the recent rains. I noticed a few times this hunt that I had our friend Cammo on my mind a lot, kept thinking that he was still in a shitty place and likely still hurting. I awoke this morning and my first thought was of Cammo, it bothers me that someone could just walk into and change his life, then go home and just carry on with theirs, this thought came to me many times yesterday while watching the ants and hearing the bird calls. I awoke this morning and first thought was "ow ! ha ha ha Dave that hurts" and then I thought " wonder how much that guy from G/S is hurting still?)

Got one Kudu to still load, 106 kg hanging on the hook, just got to get it to bloke in Cotswald and then pack away and clean weapons.
    I think I will end w/end off with starting a brew of beer.

************************* Madala !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - WTF ????????????????????????????

Here is some sage advice Dave:

" I even told myself there is as much chance of a animal coming to meas there is of me finding the animal by walking. I slept a bit today under a tree, wasted good hunting time sleeping "

Reminds me of the story written by Herman Charles Bosman, one of my favourite authors - " In The Withaaks Shade ".
    He tells the story of lying in the shade of the tree looking for stray cattle, when a Leopard found him instead.

Never too old. Keep yourself in shape and you have a better chance of enjoying your lifestyle into your twilight years. How old are you anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    Here is some sage advice Dave:

Nice. Love Clint, one of my favourite actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    " I even told myself there is as much chance of a animal coming to meas there is of me finding the animal by walking. I slept a bit today under a tree, wasted good hunting time sleeping "

Reminds me of the story written by Herman Charles Bosman, one of my favourite authors - " In The Withaaks Shade ".
    He tells the story of lying in the shade of the tree looking for stray cattle, when a Leopard found him instead.
    https://icmotrospaises.files.wordpre...e-original.pdf

User

The moment the grey hair appears the youngsters call you "Uncle"

Banned

One of my favourite things about growing older is the increasing wisdom. Turning 30 more than a decade ago was a highlight in my life for the simple reasons that I was not a child any more. Turning 40 meant that I stepped into the "Oom" (Uncle / Mr) category. An older woman told me once: "Growing older is fun, but tagging this old body along takes some effort!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast