Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Gunmyths - Rifle Bag Rust

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I have what the jewelers call poison hands, if I touch metal it rusts. The guy who told me about "poison hands" was a jeweler and said he had had a operation to to ???? remove, disconnect ?? something in or before his hands because he would tarnish metal he worked with by touch.
    I used to have extremely sweaty hands. Was typically worried about losing my grip on the steering wheel while driving or losing my grip on bicycle handlebars. Obviously also nervous about shaking hands with people when greeting them and holding hands with girls. My father had drummed into me from an early age that I should wipe down guns with an oily rag every time I touched them so rust on guns wasn't a problem. In those days I handled them a lot less than I do now so I looked forward to any opportunity to lavish some care on them. At about the age of 26 I had an operation that in simple terms cuts the pipes that carry sweat to you hands in the area where your neck joins onto your shoulders. Operation is called a cervic sympathectomy (not sure about spelling) in my case it was bilateral ie both sides.

The problem was solved and guns don't rust when I touch them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    m. At about the age of 26 I had an operation that in simple terms cuts the pipes that carry sweat to you hands in the area where your neck joins onto your shoulders. Operation is called a cervic sympathectomy (not sure about spelling) in my case it was bilateral ie both sides.

The problem was solved and guns don't rust when I touch them.
    I am so glad you posted, I have only heard of this once with the old customer who told me the story. I could never confirm story but have spoken of it many times and some times I wondered if it was a tall tale or factual experience which was related to me.
    I have had many, Many incidents and experiences in my life, more than most folk I would like to believe, met incredible peoples and heard unbelievable tales, its nice to get some verification some times.
    I can now tell this tale with greater accuracy.

User

I would be careful to call the scenario “in a rifle bag”.
    I would say be careful of some rifle bags.

In the olden days my grandfather would store the rifles in a bag I can best describe as some canvas type material, he simply did not have the type of bags I have now. So the rifle was cleaned, oiled, and stored in the bag, guess what, those canvas bags was mostly moisture proof.

The rifle bags I use now simply does not have the same design, it’s padded to death so it’s basically a sponge, it absorbs moisture in a damp environment and it keeps it. I know this I have seen it several times.

My opinion on the subject then would be in a normal dry environment if you cleaned and oiled the rifle and put it into a bag it should be fine, where most people mess up is when they go hunting, bring the rifle back and leave it in the bag, the bag already exposed to moisture and the rifle not newly oiled.

User

I use old cotton sweat pants as covers, for my rifles inside my safe to stop them from scratching each other because there isn't enough racks in my safe. Never had a rust problem sofar but I used 2 rechargeable dehumidifiers inside my safe when I stayed on the West coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    I use old cotton sweat pants as covers, for my rifles inside my safe to stop them from scratching each other because there isn't enough racks in my safe. Never had a rust problem sofar but I used 2 rechargeable dehumidifiers inside my safe when I stayed on the West coast.
    Would you recommend moisture absorbers like this or dehumidifiers like this for the best results in removing moisture from your gun safe.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    This is a real thing: some people rust metals and even melt their keyboards with their fingers. True story. And I know why this happens.

I had a conversation with an elderly but classy woman working for a client company of mine, and it went like this...

This is when I fled, but boy was it way too late...
    I am glad she didn't give you a prescription

User

What also can cause rust to form in rifle bags is that the bag wipes off the oil layer that you just applied after cleaning. Those spots then have no protection.

I used to see it on my 303 steel sight protector and sides of the trigger guard and magazine. Those were the places that made contact with the material when I placed the rifle in the bag.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Would you recommend moisture absorbers like this or dehumidifiers like this for the best results in removing moisture from your gun safe.
    I think so, I stayed 100m from the ocean and I'm honestly not the most gun cleaning/oiling person on earth. I used to shoot my guns and when at home I just put them in the safe and before the next shoot I'll just oil the moving parts with Slip2000. Sometimes I had to recharge (heat up to dry)the dehumidifiers once every month weather dependant, I once saw water droplets hanging from the cables inside a electricity DB and it wasn't even raining season. LoLy

User

I have 2 rifle bags. A safe bag and a carry bag. The safe bag is sprayed with oil on the inside. If I need to go hunting I remove the rifle from a the oily safe bag, clean it,and put it in the carry bag when hunting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2