Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fraudster

User

Default Fraudster

Good evening.

I wanted to share my recent experience on GunAfrica with everyone here, so that they hopefully don’t make the same mistakes I did.

I have previously bought and sold items without any problems.

However this time I responded to an ad for a rifle scope. Pics were sent through. After preliminary enquiries and a telephonic conversation, it was agreed that half would be paid upfront and balance upon receipt of the scope.

For this reason alone, I assumed that this would be a legit deal as surely a scammer would have taken the full amount. My guard was further lowered by the gentleman’s knowledge of firearms as well as the sound of his baby and wife in the background. I requested the banking details and a copy of an ID. These were sent through immediately. It was for an Old Mutual Account. He requested a copy of my ID for his peace of mind.

The seller then contacted me asking what bank I was with, and since I am with Standard/Stanbic would I not mind rather transferring to his cellphone number instead. Alarm bells should have been ringing loud and clear.

Anyway I transferred half the amount. A tracking number was later sent through to me, as he said he had shipped the same day via Postnet. Great!

The next day he contacted me with a proposition. He claimed he had a line on a .223 he wanted to buy, but was short 2k. Would I not mind transferring the balance now, and then I could have a discount of R500. This woke me up. I declined, and said I would follow up with Postnet and collect the parcel as soon as, and then transfer as quick as possible for him.

Upon checking with Postnet, I was told that the number did not exist and was two digits short. I requested that he send me a copy of the waybill. At this point after receiving that message his phoned has now been turned off and not been on again. When searching for the ad, I found it to now be removed.

I have waited, to give sufficient time, but after checking with my Postnet branch today, no parcel has been sent.

The ID he sent me has no criminal record and I would assume it’s not really his. This worries me as he now has my ID and will probably do the same to his next victim using my ID.

He had sound knowledge of firearms, was familiar with Postnet and obviously is trawling the gun channels.

I have emailed Gun Africa with all the details, as well as pics of all information.

Guys be careful, I have never had a bad experience before now.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Fraudster

They say there is a sucker born every minute. So there must be a scamster born every minute too.

It is one thing getting scammed on the internet, but when customer walk openly in you shop or request you to work at their home and you get stiffed get the cherry on the cake.

Tip, always let someone inspect the item for you or arrange with a gunshop to inspect on your behalf.

Sorry to here about your money. next time be one up. Always name the guys name so other members will be warned.

Have you phined your bank and reported the fraud case. If there is funds in his account they will freeze his account even if at another bank. They then need you to open a fraud case. After which if there is funds in his account they will reverse.

On Gunafrica. Always check top right how long the person has been a member.

Most of these scammers will advertise item at bargain price. But you will see by the date they joined Gunafrica. Its within last two days or on date of add.

Also always copy the photo of item to your pc. Then go to google. Do a search for anything or that same product. Then on search result that comes back. There will now appear options stating All, Images, Videos, maps ....

Click on images. Then in the google search bar you will now see a camera icon.

Click on it. It will ask you URL or upload. Select upload and select your photo saved from add picture.

Then search. Google will now search for image or similar on Internet.

The Gunafrica add will probably pitch up. But in alot of cases the same picture in add will appear from another site or forum.

If so its a scam. As the scammer copied the image from that sight and used to post add.

User

Open up a case of fraud with the police and tell them your ID is in circulation in case someone lays a charge against you

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Open up a case of fraud with the police and tell them your ID is in circulation in case someone lays a charge against you
    This^^
    Especially as he has a copy of your ID now.

User

I also experienced something like this when purchasing something via Gumtree. Do not ever pay in to someones ewallet account. Try an get their banking details to do payment in, as with this their is still some recourse.

User

Might want to spend some cash for one of those Transunion (or similar) plans that alert you whenever a credit check is done on your ID number.

I was a victim of a stolen ID some years back and found the alerting to very extremely valuable. Of course, this was after a number of accounts were fraudulently opened under my name.

What was the guys original location? And do you have the name he used on gunAfrica*?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Banned

On a side note, a well known scammer that was going by the name Dee Berry, just got arrested yesterday or the day before.
    He's scammed people on Facebook and Gumtree while advertising paintball guns, fishing tackle, drones and other items.
    I hope he gets a few snotklaps

Quote Originally Posted by razack View Post
    I also experienced something like this when purchasing something via Gumtree. Do not ever pay in to someones ewallet account. Try an get their banking details to do payment in, as with this their is still some recourse.
    100%
    If there is any suspicion, get banking details.
    Then call the bank and verify if it is a new account or if is a daily transactional account.

They won't give you too much info, but will tell you if they feel you should rather not go ahead because the account is new, or has suspicious transactions.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast