Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Fraudster

User

Default Re: Fraudster

Quote Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
    Was sent by sms, here is the text minus my account and cell number. The small details and typing errors give it away.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk
    Yesterday Dirk, the little shits actually did use a long number, just like the bank. Blerrie SCUMSUCKERS!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    Yesterday Dirk, the little shits actually did use a long number, just like the bank. Blerrie SCUMSUCKERS!
    Yup, they did... Don't know how they managed to do it though... If they improve they're punctuation they might actually scam more people. The number looks legit, the message, not so much.

User

Quote Originally Posted by aroba View Post
    Good evening.

I wanted to share my recent experience on GunAfrica with everyone here, so that they hopefully don’t make the same mistakes I did.

I have previously bought and sold items without any problems.

However this time I responded to an ad for a rifle scope. Pics were sent through. After preliminary enquiries and a telephonic conversation, it was agreed that half would be paid upfront and balance upon receipt of the scope.

For this reason alone, I assumed that this would be a legit deal as surely a scammer would have taken the full amount. My guard was further lowered by the gentleman’s knowledge of firearms as well as the sound of his baby and wife in the background. I requested the banking details and a copy of an ID. These were sent through immediately. It was for an Old Mutual Account. He requested a copy of my ID for his peace of mind.

The seller then contacted me asking what bank I was with, and since I am with Standard/Stanbic would I not mind rather transferring to his cellphone number instead. Alarm bells should have been ringing loud and clear.

Anyway I transferred half the amount. A tracking number was later sent through to me, as he said he had shipped the same day via Postnet. Great!

The next day he contacted me with a proposition. He claimed he had a line on a .223 he wanted to buy, but was short 2k. Would I not mind transferring the balance now, and then I could have a discount of R500. This woke me up. I declined, and said I would follow up with Postnet and collect the parcel as soon as, and then transfer as quick as possible for him.

Upon checking with Postnet, I was told that the number did not exist and was two digits short. I requested that he send me a copy of the waybill. At this point after receiving that message his phoned has now been turned off and not been on again. When searching for the ad, I found it to now be removed.

I have waited, to give sufficient time, but after checking with my Postnet branch today, no parcel has been sent.

The ID he sent me has no criminal record and I would assume it’s not really his. This worries me as he now has my ID and will probably do the same to his next victim using my ID.

He had sound knowledge of firearms, was familiar with Postnet and obviously is trawling the gun channels.

I have emailed Gun Africa with all the details, as well as pics of all information.

Guys be careful, I have never had a bad experience before now.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    What an absolute snake. This type of stuff never ceases to make my blood boil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

My bank send me SMS's when there is any payment or deposits done on my account. I rename this bank SMS telephone no to "Bank Notifications" on my phone. Any "but I paid you" payment not reflecting from this SMS no is considering "Not paid"

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    My bank send me SMS's when there is any payment or deposits done on my account. I rename this bank SMS telephone no to "Bank Notifications" on my phone. Any "but I paid you" payment not reflecting from this SMS no is considering "Not paid"
    That's a good practice and also something I look for. Payments from different banks gets grouped together, even POP's. That also made me suspicious about the POP I received, it didn't group with other Standard Bank messages.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    There is also the Notifications from the banking app

User

Quote Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
    Don't know how they managed to do it though...
    SMS sending websites send from those super long numbers.

User

He has already used my ID on the next guy, with reloading equipment. Unfortunately the guy that has been scammed has posted my ID on his Facebook warning everyone.

It obviously never occurred to him that the ID he was given was fake.

User

Hi chaps. This guy is still operating on GunAfrica. He has just scammed a very good friend of mine, even though my friend knew what happened to me. Be careful he is very convincing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aroba View Post
    Hi chaps. This guy is still operating on GunAfrica. He has just scammed a very good friend of mine, even though my friend knew what happened to me. Be careful he is very convincing.

What name and number is he using and what was advertised?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast