User

Default Double handgun competency certificates and section 13 & 15 licences

My Section 13 license is up for renewal in a few months and while going through the paperwork I noticed my white competency card for handguns expired in January 2015 however I have a second paper competency certificate for handguns which was issues in July 2015 with my section 15 firearm. Am I correct that the competency is per category (i.e. Handgun, rifle, shotgun etc. ) and thus my paper based competency can be used for my section 13 licence renewal?
    I understand that the Act says competencies are valid for 5 years even if you have a section 15 licence which is valid for 10 years and thus I need to renew the paper based competency certificate also?

User

Default Re: Double handgun competency certificates and section 13 & 15 licences

Quote Originally Posted by RakerX16 View Post
    I understand that the Act says competencies are valid for 5 years even if you have a section 15 licence which is valid for 10 years and thus I need to renew the paper based competency certificate also?
    The Act was amended - the comp is valid for the same period as the licence to which it relates.

Your S15 licence (10yrs) means your handgun comp (currently) is valid until 2025.

User

Default Re: Double handgun competency certificates and section 13 & 15 licences

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    The Act was amended - the comp is valid for the same period as the licence to which it relates.

Your S15 licence (10yrs) means your handgun comp (currently) is valid until 2025.
    My DFO has given me completely different info lately. I was always under the impression that once you had a license, your competency was linked to those dates.

I had to renew my competency this week as it was just about to expire (10 years). He said it was not an issue if it expires but I would have a problem when I try and license or relicense a firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk