Default Competency - How Much Time Left For a Successful Application

Want to get a Glock 17 Gen 5 and was just wondering how much time you need to have left of your competency for your DFO to accept you application. I think I have about 2 years left on mine.

I ask because when I done a renewal I didn't have much time left on my competency and he refused to accept and I had to submit for renewal of license and competency at the same time.

Default Re: Competency - How Much Time Left For a Successful Application

As far as I know,
    As long as you have a valid license for that category the competency is valid until the license expires. .

Jus to clarify.

I got my first gun about 9 years ago. Shortly after the first one, I went and did all other comps (SLR, shotgun and bolt).

I just got a batch of licenses approved last year, including some pistols. My pistol competency must be about 10 years old now, but as far as know as long as I hold a valid license for that category they will remain valid.

Didn't know there was such a thing as renewal of competency when renewing license.

I have only had to do 1 renewal so far (sect 13) about 3-4 years ago and didn't need to submit renewal for competency.

Not sure if it still works as described but that is my impression

Also, I have never had a comp card. I got mine when they use to just print out a certificate, which is filled away.

Sent from my IN2020 using Tapatalk

User

My understanding is that your competency remains valid as long as your license remains valid. People who are reapplying under the amnesty have to redo competency if they only have the one license which is now expired. Just my opinion based on my understanding. The more knowledgeable shooters set you straight

User

Quote Originally Posted by ZaneC View Post
    My understanding is that your competency remains valid as long as your license remains valid. People who are reapplying under the amnesty have to redo competency if they only have the one license which is now expired. Just my opinion based on my understanding. The more knowledgeable shooters set you straight
    I think that is the understanding of the bulk of firearm owners.

My DFO put it to me another way recently.
    Your are regarded to be competent to own a firearm while the firearm license is valid.
    Should you want to renew that license or buy a new firearm and your competency (valid for 10yrs) has expired, they will reject your application.
    He did say that this was only being enforced recently and was even news to them.
    The goal posts shift faster than your application takes to get from regional to provincial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I think it's best if you work from this base.
    That the competency is valid for 10 years and if it expires you can not use it to apply for more licences. That the licences applied for while it was valid do not expire when the competency expires. I feel this was the intention of the FCA from the start.

In my opinion SAPS and our interpretation were both wrong if we thought otherwise.

Have a look at this thread especially Ashley's interpretation
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...ce-of-the-SAPS

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    I think it's best if you work from this base.
    That the competency is valid for 10 years and if it expires you can not use it to apply for more licences. That the licences applied for while it was valid do not expire when the competency expires. I feel this was the intention of the FCA from the start.

In my opinion SAPS and our interpretation were both wrong if we thought otherwise.

Have a look at this thread especially Ashley's interpretation
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...ce-of-the-SAPS
    Thanks, yeah Ashley's interpretation seems to be the correct one though there have been some exceptions.

Here it is for those interested.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    No. The validity extension applies only in respect of the firearm licensed under that competency certificate.

To make it clearer, if you have a competency certificate that expires in 2017, and get an S15 license under it in 2016, that competency certificate will remain valid for that specific firearm until 2026, even though the competency certificate expires 2017. You won't be able to license another firearm under it in 2018, after the certificate's original 2017 expiry date, despite it still being valid for your 2016 S15 license. You will have to first renew your competency certificate before the CFR will process any new applications or renewals under it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Thanks, yeah Ashley's interpretation seems to be the correct one though there have been some exceptions.

Here it is for those interested.
    Agreed. I myself got 2 handguns on occasional.

User

Hi Guys, quick question, and i think i know the answer from what was said above, but just want to confirm.... if i got my competency certificate in 2014 and there is no expiration date on it (as far as i can see), will i be able to use it for a S16 firearm application if my only other firearm S13 is due to expire next year?

How long does the competency last if i did HG, SG, HR & Law back then?