Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Finally got myself a tracking dog, one meant for the job.

I posted long ago. 2014
    https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...lood+trail+dog
    And
    https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...g+dogs+treeman

I was finally able to be selfish, after years of taking dogs that came to me because I believe it was meant to be so, I was down to one dog and a hunting dog became available.
    6 nearly 7 years I have waited for a dog of choice , not a dog in need.

I planned and wanted a GSP, but shedding hair and likelihood that it would get killed led me to believe I needed another breed. The Jack Russel came up many a suggested times, but !! I really do not like J/Russels, generally I do not like small dogs at all, waste of time noisy thingee's.
    On a bad day, the idea of murdering a yappy dog seems quiet reasonable to me, I really do not tolerate misbehaved dogs well.
    My local wild life rescue guy told me to get a long legged Jack Russel, Skipperjie if I wanted a tracking dog that was not going to get hurt, or if I followed my own GSP head not to come crying to him when a hog or Bushbuck kills my best buddy because I did not listen.
    Then, a short while back , I saw a dog on a blokes face book page that was just so nice, it was small bearded, ugly enough to be lovable in spite of it all. I did not know the guy on the face book page, but thought I would approach him and see what came of it all. I posted the guy and by his reply found that he was a game farmer outside Grahamstown that had a firm believe in a dog breed called a Parsons Terrier and that they were the tracking dog of choice on his farms. He gave me the details of his breeder.
    Problem was he got his dogs from the only breeder he knew of, and that breeder was 200 km outside Kokstad...............................faaaar from Port Elizabeth indeed.

Regardless of this I contacted the guy and was further beaten down, he sold his dogs at R4000 and next available litter was 8 months ahead. Thats a long time.

I told him I would wait and he mentioned that sometimes one of the bitch's got pregnant expectantly, I should check in occasionally.
    I therefore kept contact with the guy and we became loose long distance friends, he sent me pictures of his dogs, when they were working and pictures of his world. Turns out he is a successful enough farmer so as that he can afford to devote much to his time to sideline hobby money maker, a pack of 24 dogs for his side line income, vermin animal control. It appears he travels great distances to do this business of jackal control.
    I in the mean time sent pictures of Cody and I in the bush, hunting and out at sea - like I said we became casual long distance friends.
    3 weeks ago he sent me a note saying that he really felt bad that he could not produce a dog for Cody and I, he had seen so many pics of he I and Nikita that he had decided to give up the dog he kept for himself from last litter for Cody.
    I just had to get it to PE.
    No shit Sherlock - now what?
    I put the word out and one of my biking mates told me that he had a contact friend that traveled RSA flat collecting and delivering bikes for buyers and sellers, he also did boats and rare cars for clients. I was put in contact with this guy who turned out to be a old contact from the wild days doing doorman work at night clubs.
    He agreed to collect dog for R1000 because, his own words " its so lekker bringing a puppy along, done it a few times now. We getting soft ey Dave ?"

Saturday morning at 10 we were sitting next to the road waiting for a Eveco towing 2 boats and a few bikes to enter PE.

I now have my hunting dog and Cody finally has his little puppy, it is dear to see him mothering and caring for the little girl.
    20201031_104809[1] by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
    Cody no longer sleeps in his room, down stairs with his pup in dads area.
    20201101_231631[1] by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
    Today was the first day out working, and tomorrow Cody is at school and its the dog and I, I do not want to over bear the him and dog bond, but how to do so with out leaving the dog at home is a question needing a answer.
    20201102_084141[1] by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
    We started today on blood and skin play tracking, the future is yet to be made..............

Banned

Default Re: Finally got myself a tracking dog, one meant for the job.

The picture of the dog in the mirror, just looking, just enjoying, just being alive, it raises many questions for me about animals and their "being".
    That dog enjoying looking out of the window, being alive - surely there is more to it than just existing, it enjoys, it experiences - it is alive and perceiving.
    It raises questions....
    My old friend from a different time said it true, "we getting soft ey dave ?"

For those who may have known him, Bret Chapple the bike man in PE, died a few hours after organizing my dogs transport, just sat down and died - heart attack.
    48 years old.
    The laughing man on a bike is no more.

The original Jack Russell. Congrats, great little dogs to have around and great in the home too.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Nice!
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    The original Jack Russell. Congrats, great little dogs to have around and great in the home too.
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo ! woke up and she had eaten through all the cell phone cables and the air humidifier
    Somewhere between 01H00 and 06H00 she was busy

Congrats Dave! A farm we hunted on in the Umkomaas area used fox terriers (long legged) as he said they were far more sensible than jack russells and more likely to survive caracals, bush buck etc. He went through to many jacks before he changed and has never looked back.

Yep, a lot of guys use Foxxies. Smart little buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo ! woke up and she had eaten through all the cell phone cables and the air humidifier
    Somewhere between 01H00 and 06H00 she was busy
    Tree we have a household full of dogs, meaning it was a household full of pups at one stage. Coat all your possible chewables in the hottest hot sauce you can find. They rarely chew anything in the house after that first taste.

User

Oh no! Does this mean you'll be getting a .30-06 now too...?

Jokes aside, having such a companion makes it all the more fun. Best of luck!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Oh no! Does this mean you'll be getting a .30-06 now too...?

Jokes aside, having such a companion makes it all the more fun. Best of luck!
    Yes the dog needs some training, kinda thing only a 30 06 can provide.

Jokes aside I am waiting for a answer regarding a 30 06 here on site.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast