Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Finally got myself a tracking dog, one meant for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapcap View Post
    Tree we have a household full of dogs, meaning it was a household full of pups at one stage. Coat all your possible chewables in the hottest hot sauce you can find. They rarely chew anything in the house after that first taste.
    Or just don't leave them unsupervised where they have access to chewables.

Prevention is far better than cure especially with dogs who learn from single events. In other words, if they get a reward for a behavior once, they will typically attempt the behavior again.

Start crate training early.

There is no such thing as a dog that "misbehaves", just poor trainers and handlers.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Or just don't leave them unsupervised where they have access to chewables.

Prevention is far better than cure especially with dogs who learn from single events. In other words, if they get a reward for a behavior once, they will typically attempt the behavior again.

Start crate training early.

There is no such thing as a dog that "misbehaves", just poor trainers and handlers.
    What is crate training?

The adult dog is a reasonably good reflection of its owners persona.

The dog slept downstairs with Cody(photo 2), and I did not really want to close doors between he and I, so the Rat found itself climbing stairs to get too mischief.
    I am finding this dog to be very affectionate and needful of human company, more so than I recall being average for a puppy - it really likes people, and has little interest in the other dogs, cats, fowls, ducks, snakes and what ever was brought home today. Wonder if this is a good sign or bad sign for a potential hunting dog, (the human companionship need being more than usual)

its strange to feel those funny fuzzy warm feelings again, the ones that only a puppy can bring out in a grown man.

Banned

For those that are interested, this is the puppy at 11 weeks old. We put her on short trails with 2 turns.
    I am absolutely confident she will track any animal I would be able to track at this age, and I certainly know she will do it in a tenth of the time.
    20201124_135004 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

I remind you all 11 weeks old in this video.
    If anyone has a greater interest I have video's of here tracking at 14 weeks as well. 80 m straight path a sharp turn and then around some obstacles. It is amazing to see her go past the turn and then back track and find the turn off point. You can actually see her stop and think occasionally.
    I can be got at 0824141818 if u wish to see the video's by whats up.

Banned

I see you need to double click on picture to taken to the video, it seems slow to load so give time, or try the link.

What do you reward her with Dave as a matter of interest?

Banned

I drag a piece of skin from same animal blood is from along trail as well. The skin is on a rope when she gets it (the skin is target) we fight for the skin tug and pull. She wins and a piece the size of a playing card is given back to her which she chews for a while then eats.

User

Making me lus to get a working dog as well.

Looks like a lot fun, and big bonding experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

I have each track on video. I shamefully admit I am almost wanting to have a animal I can not find, hopefully one thats dead but managed to elude my casual follow up.
    These little dogs certainly are brave and come back for seconds on any confrontation.

I know that this dog is going to kill Cody's fowl, my mind type can already see it unwinding.
    The fowl truly and properly F***** the puppy up at every chance it gets, sounds like the puppy is being murdered. I see the puppy pushing back now recently, its not going to end well.
    The fowl will not leave the dog alone and the dog resents the fowls attitude, can only end one way.

User

I once hunted on a farm where the farmer used an amicable dachshund cross as a tracker. It sat curled up on the farmers lap on the bakkie, and would give him that look of "do I really have to do this" when he was called upon to work. Off he would go and find the animal, he would lick a bit of blood as reward and then expect to be picked up and carried back to the bakkie. Such a sweet little lap dog, but an excellent tracker.

Enjoy the puppy!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    I once hunted on a farm where the farmer used an amicable dachshund cross as a tracker. It sat curled up on the farmers lap on the bakkie, and would give him that look of "do I really have to do this" when he was called upon to work. Off he would go and find the animal, he would lick a bit of blood as reward and then expect to be picked up and carried back to the bakkie. Such a sweet little lap dog, but an excellent tracker.

Enjoy the puppy!!!
    This dog starts whining when it realizes we going to play track.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast