User

Post Firearm and Deceased Estate Help!

Hi All

I need some assistance going forward how to obtain a license for a firearm that belong to my grandfather .I want to make use of the amnesty period as my last resort .

Here is some Facts

* The firearm is currently in my procession ( My father use to keep it with him ).
    * I don't know who the executor of the estate was nor does my Father and the firearm was not mentioned in the will.
    * I don't have a License of the firearm in the deceased name.
    * DFO gave me a printout its still in his name with deceased date (2004/03/23).
    * I have a death certificate for the deceased.
    * I have a valid competency for the specific handgun.
    * The firearm is not worth a lot of money more sentimental than anything else its a 6.35 Star.

What is my options in order to register the firearm in my name and what documentation would I require , I know its a long shot but maybe someone on here had a similar situation .

Thanks

User

Default Re: Firearm and Deceased Estate Help!

From what I can tell, SAPS are refusing applications from people who are the original owners under the amnesty.

I would suggest contacting Martin Hood, he is working on challenging this practice. Proper legal advice is the way to go here, as you are not legally in possession of that firearm.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Firearm and Deceased Estate Help!

You can have a new executor declared by the court. Then have that person write a letter stating that you can apply for the firearm. But the executor must be in possession of the firearm. Then it is a normal app with all the supporting docs. Just had a friend go through this process and his app was captured today. Luckily his friend was the original executor so they skipped the step about getting a new one. Supporting docs is a death certificate, copy of ID, License or print out of license from DFO, saps 271 and motivation.