Thread: Zebra.

Default Zebra.

A plains (Burchell's) zebra stallion above and his herd below.

User

Default Re: Zebra.

It always intrigues me how clean a zebra's mane looks compared to most horses.

A "punk with a crew cut" describes it to a T...

Thanks for sharing.

I will never get bored of seeing wildlife photos and videos, keep them coming TStone

Awesome T-Stone! Do you have good tips for identifying stallions from mares? I struggle immensely particularly if I cannot see the undercarriage.

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Awesome T-Stone! Do you have good tips for identifying stallions from mares? I struggle immensely particularly if I cannot see the undercarriage.
    I still find it very difficult. There is a lot of advice that sounds good when you hear it, for example, look for the wider "landing strip" between the mares buttocks, a stallion will look more masculine and the animal at the back of the herd will always be the herd stallion. However, when you actually have to make the call neither of the first two are really as glaringly obvious as they sound when you are out in the bush. The animal that is at the back of the herd is often the herd stallion but occasionally it isn't. Don't ask me how I know this.

After 20 years, I am still reluctant to commit to it being a stallion unless I get a glimpse of the penis and with a Burchell's zebra a glimpse is all you will ever get unless you happen to catch him while he is urinating. As a rule, I try to hunt zebra from bachelor herds, if you make a mistake here (there are often young mares, in bachelor herds) at least it won't be a breeding mare.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it is a bad idea to shoot the herd stallion from a breeding herd. The mares will often take several years before they accept a stallion again, leaving you with no foals during that period. If I have to shoot from a breeding herd, I try to shoot either a young mare or an old dry mare. Identifying one of these are not easy either. Still, as cruel as it sounds, I would rather loose one pregnant mare from a herd (if a mistake is made) than loose the breeding herd stallion.