Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Size Do You Cut Your Patches To

Or do you buy them pre cut, if so where do you buy them from.

Got the following measurements from the internet, would like to know if they are in the right ballpark.

.308 - 38x38mm
    9mm - 57x57mm
    12 gauge - 76x76mm

User

Default Re: What Size Do You Cut Your Patches To

I usually have rolls, so I cut one, then it's too small. Then I cut another one, which is always too big, and I think (ag it'll go through). Then it gets stuck and I have to yank the rod out, usually unscrewing the jag and leaving it stuck in the barrel. Then I insert the rod from the front and tap it to remove the stuck jag and patch, remove the patch and cut one that's between the first and second one.

That works and then I cut a few more in the same size.

I use the Bore Tech pre cut round patches. They have a sizing chart to say which size is best for which caliber. Havent had any problems with patches getting stuck or hard to push through

So for those like Toxxyc who clearly spend hours with cutting and resizing I just tested the sizes above.

9mm was good at 57mm
    12 Gauge was good at 76mm
    .308 was just a little small at 38mm and 41mm works fine. 45mm is too big

Thanks Andre will look into the Bore Tech patches.

Banned

Cut a strip of cloth roughly 25mm wide and 90mm long. Wind it in overlapping circles around the rod. If you wind it at an angle of roughly 60°, it is quite thick and cleans 9mm. At 30° it is thinner and cleans 308.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Cut a strip of cloth roughly 25mm wide and 90mm long. Wind it in overlapping circles around the rod. If you wind it at an angle of roughly 60°, it is quite thick and cleans 9mm. At 30° it is thinner and cleans 308.
    Hmm I usually just put the tip of the jag in the middle of the patch and shove it down the barrel. I used to use the wrap method that you have suggested but found the other method much easier to do. Yes you only get to push the patch through once but that is ok.

I plan on getting spear-jags for .308 and 9mm as I think they are the best option.

User

People with money to burn use boretech patches. Cheap s#its like me use the Gunsmithy square patches.

User

I remember way back in the military you use to get the 2x4 barrel cleaning patches. It was designed that the way you fold it and the amount of folds will cover your 5.56 mm, 7.62 mm, 9mm and right up to 12.7 mm BMG

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    People with money to burn use boretech patches. Cheap s#its like me use the Gunsmithy square patches.
    I wonder where I fit in with my bought by the 270mm diameter roll and then cut it in patches of 2 by 4". To save I use the same patch 4 times, I start to roll it around the jag from the corner, the next time from the diagonally across corner, then flip it around and do the same thing on the other side. My old previously last used for rub down oily patch, gets used as a cleaning patch for the next cleaning session. For .22 I cut the 2 by 4 in half to make ir 2 by 2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast