Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ammuntition Shortage

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post

I see Dave Sheer just got a load of ZVS in at R295 for 50. And here in the Cape ZVS has just sold out in most shops.

Should I just buy what I need to shoot at R350 (and up) a box of 50 and wait for the prices to drop or is that going to be a while. Maybe once Biden wins Americans will stop buying ammo? Or maybe they will buy more!
    Cape prices are ridiculous
    You can still easily get big brand 9mm at R249 for 50 in JHB if you buy bulk packs.

Its quite sad comparing some of the other calibers between CPT and JHB. The difference is huge. Dont know how you in the Cape survive

What's getting scarce here is 38 Special

keep in mind there is a significant cost to get the stock to cape town involved also.

User

The cost is not that significant. Ammo comes into the country via sea freight. Either Durban or Cape Town. So, it should be more expensive in Joburg. Road freight is more expensive than sea. Problem is the importers are based in Joburg so they specify Durban as landing port.

Even then, with all the required permits and extra security it should only increase the wholesale price around 5% max.

Ever wondered why Somchem powders are the same general price country wide even though they were all made in Cape Town?

User

Quote Originally Posted by phant1m View Post
    keep in mind there is a significant cost to get the stock to cape town involved also.
    wouldn't heavy cargo like ammo be shipped versus flow in?

Some of the importers are based in the Cape
    eg Guns n Bows

Even Durban prices are high and many importers are based there.

Quote Originally Posted by McD2304 View Post
    wouldn't heavy cargo like ammo be shipped versus flow in?
    Yup, shipped in via container

Quote Originally Posted by Mark357 View Post
    Cape prices are ridiculous
    You can still easily get big brand 9mm at R249 for 50 in JHB if you buy bulk packs.

Its quite sad comparing some of the other calibers between CPT and JHB. The difference is huge. Dont know how you in the Cape survive

What's getting scarce here is 38 Special

Yeah PMP 9mm ammo for R380 for 50! Have they just screwed the locals by raising the prices to equal the import stuff or has their cost really gone up?

If the former it will not be cool and I will not buy PMP again very soon.

Edit: My bad I think the R380 is for HPs not CMJs. I asked for range ammo so I assumed they meant CMJs.

Question - what is PMP 9mm 115Gr CMJ ammo like. Never used it before, apart from their HP.

No, I was right it's R195 for 25 PMP CMJs. Come on, so PMP are just inflating their prices because there is a shortage. Not gonna make friends or new customers that way.....

Even shotgun ammo is scarce this side. Some shops have literally none.
    Lesson learnt, when the US elections come around next time, stock up on ammo 2 months in advance.

User

Most likely it's because of Biden and his anti-gun rhetoric. And the possibility that he could win the presidential race.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    No, I was right it's R195 for 25 PMP CMJs. Come on, so PMP are just inflating their prices because there is a shortage. Not gonna make friends or new customers that way.....

Even shotgun ammo is scarce this side. Some shops have literally none.
    Lesson learnt, when the US elections come around next time, stock up on ammo 2 months in advance.
    Even 6 months in advance is cutting it close. Always keep a few hundred rounds of loaded ammo and a decent stash of primers, powder and bullets, because even if you don't reload, you probably know someone who does that can help you in a pinch.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast