Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Ammuntition Shortage

Quote Originally Posted by zs6hdv View Post
    In America (don't know about here), the cheap Winchester range ammo is known as Winchester White Box. They seem to sometimes use the WMA (I understand, previously WCC) headstamp cases.

Military ammo is normally loaded using Berdan primers, the case does not have a central flash hole, but rather two smaller off-center holes. The primer is crimped in place to prevent it from coming out in automatic weapons and causing a jam. The primer is not "self contained" like a Boxer primer (containing an anvil in the primer), but the case has the anvil as part of the doppie.

Military ammo is normally also slightly "hotter" loads, as far as I know.
    AFAIK the US millitary does not use Berdan primed ammo(iirc even the 5.56 ammo is boxer primed).

Which is ironic as berdan primers were invented in American and is now widely used by European militaries. And the European invented Boxer primer is now widely used by the American LE and Military.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

The circle with a + in the middle that I mentioned is apparently a NATO symbol, and I'm guessing that the 20 means it was made in 2020.

38, 38 , wherefore art thou 38 ?
    Not making me feel so Special.

Any one know of 38 Special quality range ammo around JHB/PTA ??
    It seems a bit scarce

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    The circle with a + in the middle that I mentioned is apparently a NATO symbol, and I'm guessing that the 20 means it was made in 2020.
    It is a NATO headstamp, but it would have to be 124gr FMJ to be considered a NATO load. IIRC there is no 115gr NATO 9x19 spec, it simply doesn't exist.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    It is a NATO headstamp, but it would have to be 124gr FMJ to be considered a NATO load. IIRC there is no 115gr NATO 9x19 spec, it simply doesn't exist.
    Actually 9mm NATO bullet specs are between 108gr -128gr.

Not sure whether SANDF/SAPS ammo is NATO spec but IIRC the 9mm bullets are 115gr.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bronxlive View Post
    Actually 9mm NATO bullet specs are between 108gr -128gr.

Not sure whether SANDF/SAPS ammo is NATO spec but IIRC the 9mm bullets are 115gr.

Supposedly, yes but I have yet to physically see one. Our state ball is 115gr but not loaded close to what I would consider a NATO/military 9x19 ball load.

User

I also tried to get some pistol ammunition this weekend for use at the range. Only thing available in 9mm was Winchester White box bulk pack and I couldn't find 45ACP at all. Not great.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    I also tried to get some pistol ammunition this weekend for use at the range. Only thing available in 9mm was Winchester White box bulk pack and I couldn't find 45ACP at all. Not great.
    I saw 230gr .45 Sig ball at Tactical HQ in Jhb. Pretty sure they can make a plan for you (to get it to you).

So...... 410 ammo is not available at my two local G-shops, not even in another shop 100 km away.

User

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    So...... 410 ammo is not available at my two local G-shops, not even in another shop 100 km away.
    Where is local? I have some that I'd be willing to swop.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast