Default Re: Mini-me's first Barbel.

Well done!

User

Well done to the young man and to you as a dad for taking him fishing

User

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    Thank you guys. Yes the camo is quite something...We've just returned home empty handed from the Vaal river. River is not running ATM and it is very shallow. Kids did catch a few Freshwater Mussels just to keep them occupied.

Where on the Vaal was this?

River was high hole weekend at Orkney and I caught seven barbel on mulberries using just an hook and mulberries and let it float under the mulberry trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptein L View Post
    Where on the Vaal was this?River was high hole weekend at Orkney and I caught seven barbel on mulberries using just an hook and mulberries and let it float under the mulberry trees.
    Near Ermelo. The Vaal runs through a friend's farm. It is close to where the river has its beginning, so it is more a stream if there aren't good down pours. As I sat next to the river, I was reminded how all this can change in a few days. About 3 meters above me was the remains of a flood two years ago. The grass high up in the Willow tree and the wire from the fence it took in its wake. A little further down the Yelkowfish are very active, but the river needs to run strong.

User

Near Ermelo. The Vaal runs through a friend's farm. It is close to where the river has its beginning, so it is more a stream if there aren't good down pours. As I sat next to the river, I was reminded how all this can change in a few days. About 3 meters above me was the remains of a flood two years ago. The grass high up in the Willow tree and the wire from the fence it took in its wake. A little further down the Yelkowfish are very active, but the river needs to run strong.

Ok not very familiar with the origin of the Vaal but a mighty beast when in flood I hear.

If you can try the mulberry trick when in season it works a charm on barbel.

I am fortunate to live on its banks from August this year so I am just starting to experience its seasons.

Thank you for the tip

User

Thank you for the tip
    Pleasure just use an van der Merwe hook and a Mulberry and let it drift under the trees and some time gently pull it back like a plug then let it drift back.

User

Give that little one a coke!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2