Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Collapsible stock collapsing while shooting.

Could somebody maybe give me some idea what my son was doing wrong because when he used a friend's Daniel Defence AR during a competition, the stock kept on collapsing while he was shooting it? It didn't happen when neither me nor the owner used that rifle. I wonder.

User

Default Re: Collapsible stock collapsing while shooting.

He's holding it wrong. He's putting pressure on the release lever when firing.

User

I was trying to see if he did but it didn't appear as if he did. Next time when he shoots with my AR I'll stand to his left side to see where/how he grips it (btw both of us shoot out of the left shoulder).

User

That's the only explanation I can think of. Wait is that the one with the lever you have to squeeze, or the lever you have to pull to get the stock to move?

User

On the video it looks like a squeeze model stock. Hmm that might be it.

Banned

There is usually a button to be squeezed, or a lever to be pushed on the collapsible stocks. Unless the mechanism is worn out, or did not engage completely, he must have put some form of pressure on it.

User

On my Stag Arms where the lever is on the top inside he couldn't accomplish it but on the DD where the lever is more to the front outside the stock frame. Clearly a case of a tor error, the operator error.

User

When the lever is pressed it engages a detent that moves out of a retaining hole. When you release the lever the detent is supposed to engage with one of the holes in the buffer tube locking the stock in place.

If your son is using a different position than you then I would hazard a guess that the problem is likely that the hole the detent is engaging with for him may be a bit undersized and the detent is not properly engaging.

You should be able to see for each position if the detent fully engages (no the lever as this can be in its locked position with the detent still riding high)

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    When the lever is pressed it engages a detent that moves out of a retaining hole. When you release the lever the detent is supposed to engage with one of the holes in the buffer tube locking the stock in place.

If your son is using a different position than you then I would hazard a guess that the problem is likely that the hole the detent is engaging with for him may be a bit undersized and the detent is not properly engaging.

You should be able to see for each position if the detent fully engages (no the lever as this can be in its locked position with the detent still riding high)

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Thanks, this sounds like a option. As soon as I see that rifle again I'll have a look at the different indent "heights".

User

I remember the self collapsing DD Stock... just saying your son has a knack for guns breaking in his hands

I thought it might actually be a receiver extension issue (i.e. Buffer tube). I thought maybe the last hole wasn't machined correctly, cause it seemed to only collapse down if on the longest setting, and none of the others.

If it was a stock issue I would suppose it to do it on all the extension settings.

EDIT: Maybe I should read past the first post, someone else has said the same thing I did already just more eloquently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast