Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Court Judgement 2020/11/11 (Amnesty)

Send me your e-mail via PM, and I'll forward it.

Has anyone submitted an application after the court ruling yet?

How does it work? Do you bring the FA that you're surrendering/ applying the license for when you submit the app at your DFO?

Do you use the same SAPS 271 form?

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by beretta9mm View Post

How does it work? Do you bring the FA that you're surrendering/ applying the license for when you submit the app at your DFO?

Do you use the same SAPS 271 form?

I am also eagerly awaiting some feedback, want to apply to licence 2 FA's, 1 from my mother and 1 from my father with expired white licence cards.

User

Do you use the same SAPS 271 form? Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    I completed this process a week ago.

Handed in, under the amnesty, a firearm which my late father had on an expired white license.

I then used the normal SAPS 271 to apply for a license and had to complete for the owner, my late father, as well as the executor and get the executor to sign. I then also had to supply proof of the executors appointment by the Master of the Supreme Court and an affidavit from the executor confirming their intention that I should take ownership of the firearm. For good measure I added copies of the Death Notice and a copy of the will to the balance of the normal supporting documents.

DFO took the application in and assisted with the process and completion of the form. Let's see what happens.

User

So many qeustions
    1 I can get a shotgun but awaiting my competency how do I apply
    2 can dealers apply and have it then part of dealer stock for re sale / safe keeping for the new applicant

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFW View Post
    I completed this process a week ago.

Handed in, under the amnesty, a firearm which my late father had on an expired white license.

I then used the normal SAPS 271 to apply for a license and had to complete for the owner, my late father, as well as the executor and get the executor to sign. I then also had to supply proof of the executors appointment by the Master of the Supreme Court and an affidavit from the executor confirming their intention that I should take ownership of the firearm. For good measure I added copies of the Death Notice and a copy of the will to the balance of the normal supporting documents.

DFO took the application in and assisted with the process and completion of the form. Let's see what happens.
    Thanks for the info!

What happens if the owner of the gun has emigrated and does not want the FA anymore (it is on an expired white license that has been lost).

Do you need some sort of proof that the gun belongs to the said owner, who has given you permission to hand it in under the amnesty and apply for a new license?

User

Thanks for the info!

What happens if the owner of the gun has emigrated and does not want the FA anymore (it is on an expired white license that has been lost).

Do you need some sort of proof that the gun belongs to the said owner, who has given you permission to hand it in under the amnesty and apply for a new license?

Dangerous situation, you are technically in possession of a firearm without a license. The owner cannot give you permission to be in possession of his firearm even if he has emigrated. Not sure if the amnesty would protect you or him. Maybe one of the more qualified legal guys can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    Dangerous situation, you are technically in possession of a firearm without a license. The owner cannot give you permission to be in possession of his firearm even if he has emigrated. Not sure if the amnesty would protect you or him. Maybe one of the more qualified legal guys can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Correct, this was a problem for me too. I had a storage permit (SAPS539) which the executor had obtained for me which allowed me to legally store the firearm but this had re-issued once and then expired. I was thus in a similar position of being technically illegally in possession of the firearm due to the permits expiry but had the record and copies of the permits and the executors affidavit when I handed it in.

User

Thanks for the info!

Based purely on my experience I would consider trying to get a storage permit as a first step as this puts the firearm legally under your care. I would strongly suggest that you get proper legal advise or discuss with your DFO as my first enquiry a couple of weeks ago got the response from a lower ranking person in the firearms office that I could not do anything with the firearm and we should forget that we had even had the conversation. Aanhouer wen.

It was a hypothetical question ;) But thanks for your honest and genuine feedback!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2