Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    User

Default Re: How Do You Maintain Your EDC Glock

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Good thinking, but I'm no where near a co op, so will go with the one I linked to earlier as I need some foam from them as well to waterproof my safe, so the R95 shipping should work out OK.
    Just realised that I have the answer in our plastic recycling bin. I use litres of this stuff

Assuming it won't melt with my lubes, fitting a needle on the nozzle gives a squeeze bottle that I can meter and seal. The nozzle fits on any common plastic bottle thread.

User

I use sewing machine oil. Comes standard with a nozzle. Jut make sure you don't cut it to short.

User

A few drops and a earbud to spread it, also picks up the excess

Quote Originally Posted by qscwbt View Post
    Dunk it in parrafin. Rinse. Wipe down with gun oil. Grease the metal to metal parts
    This guy i think only uses a gun oil or is it a grease (Gun Butter) and not an oil and grease from what i've picked up.

I'm constantly amazed by the over complication of simple things. I have carried and regularly fired my old first series Sig Sauer P220 for 43 years. Dunno how much ammo but 30 - 40K would be a fair guess. Nothing ever broke and not a single malfunction. My only cleaning tools are a Parker Hale rod, jag and bronze brush. As I shoot cast bullets there's always some lead fouling - easily cleaned with two strokes of the brush dipped in solvent followed by a patch on the jag just for good measure. Powder fouling on the frame around the feed ramp and on the breech face cleaned with a wet patch applied with finger tip. Same for guide rails on frame and slide, then wiped dry. For lubrication a light coat of sewing machine oil on the guide rails applied with a lightly oily patch then wiped off to leave just a thin coat. Some people drown their guns in oil - it's counter productive. Finally I wipe the frame and slide with an oily patch and wipe off. The oil penetrates the metal slightly and greatly improves rust resistance. Generally I clean my guns in that way after each range session, but if I don't see the range for a couple of months I clean the gun every month. But I have to apply an extra treatment in hot weather - I found that carrying next to my skin in hot weather causes rust on the left back end of the slide, that being the part in contact with my skin. I found that cleaning the sweat off that portion every evening with thinner followed by the wipe on oil treatment prevented rust. You don't want thick oil on a firearm - you want light machine oil ie sewing machine oil. I clean out my barrels and everything else with paint thinner. For those who don't know Hoppes No 9 is odourless paint thinner with banana oil added to give it its distinctive smell. Why pay for that when hardware store paint thinner is the same thing with a different smell? Bores and chambers should be left completely dry. So, simple tools, simple solvent and oil, simple methods. I clean my Sig in five minutes. My S&W rollie takes a bit longer for obvious reasons. My 43 year old well used Sig runs like a Swiss sewing machine and is as good as new except for some external cosmetic wear.

User

Sir, out of interest, would that be the P220 with the heel release?

User

Hoppes No.9 is mostly kerosene, ethanol and propanol and a bunch of other components. The banana smell is amyl acetate which is sometimes called banana oil.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Just realised that I have the answer in our plastic recycling bin. I use litres of this stuffAssuming it won't melt with my lubes, fitting a needle on the nozzle gives a squeeze bottle that I can meter and seal. The nozzle fits on any common plastic bottle thread.
    Gives new meaning to a "hot weapon"

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Gives new meaning to a "hot weapon"
    The nozzle turned out to be more bother than it was worth. A toothpick dipped into lanolin grease for rails etc and ATF/paraffin for internals works better.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast