Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default How Do You Maintain Your EDC Glock

As an EDC gun (as opposed to a safe gun) it's a little harder to protect against rust and so on.

So as the title says after cleaning after a day of shooting and oiling the required parts, do you just rub down the outside of the slide lightly with oil and perhaps let it stand overnight when not carrying, and clean it off the next morning? Or do you not even bother.
    What about the barrel, one patch through with oil and then patches through until it's dry again?

Obviously with a polymer framed gun you don't have to worry about the frame which is pretty useful.

Default Re: How Do You Maintain Your EDC Glock

Sunlight soap and a wet sponge to clean the frame and outside slide.Dry off with paper towel and back in holster. If water in extractor I leave out a bit longer. No oil on outside of slide at all.Barrel gets a patch or two of oil. Thereafter only chamber gets dried out with a tissue to not contaminate the bullet. Same with breach face.

User

Stop being paranoid. Use an approved lube and use it as intended. Wipe the slide off with a clean cloth.
    Worry more about good carry ammo than the actual maintenance of the gun.

I know it might seem like a rather simple question, but have been using youtube for info on cleaning, lubing, etc. and have come across some rather dodgy advice. I saw a video that had 400,000 views so I thought it's probably good to go, but this guy had cleaning fluid go all over his firing pin mechanism.... and so I have since stuck to Lenny Magill videos.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Sunlight soap and a wet sponge to clean the frame and outside slide.Dry off with paper towel and back in holster. If water in extractor I leave out a bit longer. No oil on outside of slide at all.Barrel gets a patch or two of oil. Thereafter only chamber gets dried out with a tissue to not contaminate the bullet. Same with breach face.
    The fuck? You serious?

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    Stop being paranoid. Use an approved lube and use it as intended. Wipe the slide off with a clean cloth.
    Worry more about good carry ammo than the actual maintenance of the gun.
    Nothing wrong with having a well maintained gun :p

User

Spit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grant9 View Post
    The fuck? You serious?
    Yes. I hate a dirty stinky gun on me hence sunlight soap water and sponge. Nitriding is very rust resistant. The inside and working parts are lightly lubed. Outside is wiped off with a dry cloth if too sweaty and or to remove dirt or lint. Zero rust. The problem is that we are applying pre nitriding (blued) maintenance to more modern materials. I did the same at first. Those with acid hands etc are a different story.

User

I have this bad habbit of saying “ill clean it after the next shoot” but guess what, I have 2 kids and im pretty gatvol of guns and pretty busy after a shoot, so I clean at least every 1000 rounds, maybe once a month or once every 2 months, then I field strip, clean barrel, take a toothbrush with nitro solvent to clean the slide and in the interior of the frame, wipe thoroughly, dry fire the shit out of it after assembling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Cleaned after every range trip with Ballistol, and then lube the points specified by Glock, and then light layer of oil on the slide but make sure you can still grip it (I use some skateboard tape infront of the rear dovetail for more grip).

Then when any dust/lint builds up, I'll wipe the outside with some clean patches and then reapply a slight layer of oil. If there's a lot of lint/dust, unload, field strip and try blow most of it out but usually it's time for a range trip before too much has built up internally.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast