User

Default GALIL Calibre change

So after two years I end up again being with two Galils SAR not yet lisenced to my name (my lisence application was refused during my Ireland stunt, despite all the right documents etc).
    The one that was intended for my FIL is now my aswell again. The SAR300 application will go in January again.

Now stop for a moment, wonder and think, what if I make one a 300 Blackout Galil? I know calibre change, reliable feeding etc from a 5.56 platform? Wont that be a nice toy?

Or should I go 6.8spc?

Just thinking at this stage- my Gunsmith who gave me a ballpark figure to do the work. Close to a Type56 in price.

Or should I just sell one again and buy a AK of sorts and shoot cheap and available AK rounds?

User

Default Re: GALIL Calibre change

Can you not convert one to 308?

The IDF had 308 Galils, magazines shouldn't be too big a problem if you can find them. Loading components are readily available as is milsurp ammo

A .300blk will probably be the easiest to do. There will probably be some degree of trial and error getting the gasport size right though.

The .308 Galils used a longer receiver as I recall.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post

Or should I just sell one again and buy a AK of sorts and shoot cheap and available AK rounds?
    Tactical HQ has a special for R4 a round, yes thats four rand per round

If I had money I would have solved your problem by buying one of the Galils

User

The .300blk would be the easiest by far, because you'd only need to change the barrel. All the other components remain the same and will function without issue, as was the idea behind the catridge originally. As SSP pointed out, your gas port is the variable here, but I woukd contact Jeff Miller at Hillbilly Firearms in the USA. He builds .300blk Galils and would have the answer for you.

6.8spc I think might be more difficult, because there's no AK in that caliber. You'd need a magzine well insert to use AR mags in that caliber - for which I have a 3D scan but no immediate plans to make - a new barrel and you'd need to make a new bolt. Add the small parts I'm not sure about and the unknown gas port size, and you have a more difficult proposition. Would really be cool though.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    A .300blk will probably be the easiest to do. There will probably be some degree of trial and error getting the gasport size right though.

The .308 Galils used a longer receiver as I recall.
    Most .308 AK variants have longer receivers, but the .308 Galil receiver is the same length. They cut out the magazine well rearwards for it to fit. The giveaway is the awkward looking trigger guard and the bolt length being the same as the 5.56 version. Not sure if the receivers are exactly otherwise the same, but I wouldn't risk milling out a forged receiver.

We have a .308 R4 sheet metal design on paper that would use AR10 SR25 magazines, but that still needs some final work and funding.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by VNI View Post
    Most .308 AK variants have longer receivers, but the .308 Galil receiver is the same length. They cut out the magazine well rearwards for it to fit. The giveaway is the awkward looking trigger guard and the bolt length being the same as the 5.56 version. Not sure if the receivers are exactly otherwise the same, but I wouldn't risk milling out a forged receiver.

We have a .308 R4 sheet metal design on paper that would use AR10 SR25 magazines, but that still needs some final work and funding.
    OP route aside, a LM4 in 308 would be awesome.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post

Just thinking at this stage- my Gunsmith who gave me a ballpark figure to do the work. Close to a Type56 in price.

Guns are for men what jewellery is for women - at least in most cases.

Since it concerns a "grown-up toy" instead of a working rifle, and especially since you have another Galil, one should simply ask what the heart wants.

300 Blackout would probably be easier, and 6.8SPC would be something only you have.

Enjoy!

User

i ended up selling the extra gun at a good profit! Thanks for the advise.