Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Howdie ya'll

Default Howdie ya'll

Howzit folks - new gun owner here. Have a Sig P320 Carry sitting in range jail while I wait for competency and licensing. Using the time to shoot some paper and get dedicated status with NHSA.

Went with the Sig after taking a very close look at the M&P 2.0 5" (going for the ridiculous price of 19k) and the P-10C. Chose it because it was on special, the modularity/MCK compatibility is a fun addition and because I - maybe controversially? - quite like the higher bore axis. The P-10C felt a bit front heavy and I don't know that the recoil difference is enough.

Have now shifted my attention to a rifle: mostly for shooting rocks on the farm but also keen to get into some precision/long range shooting. Some interesting options on the market here, so any advice would be much appreciated. Tikka T3X variants all seem like good options, as does the Mauser M18 or Remington/Howa in one of these inexpensive Aussie chassis.

I know there's almost always someone on the lookout for a GP100, so check out VLT Arms in Pretoria. They are currently offering them at a 30% discount. And other crazy deals.

On competency: I was pleasantly surprised that my application made it to the CFR within 20 days of submission, largely down to a helpful DFO. But I'm sure there's a wait yet.

Default Re: Howdie ya'll

Welcome!

User

Welcome.
    Good luck with the applications and finding the patience in the waiting game.

User

Welcome!

The Sig P320 Carry is a great choice, I think!

Thanks, chaps. The Sig is mostly a range toy (and rural defense), rather than EDC, so not too worried about waiting times on that. It sure is a beauty, certainly a better shooter than I am.

Did have one minor malfunction today, with the slide failing to lock at the end of a mag, but the RO said it was because I was anticipating the recoil too much and countering the momentum that usually sets it back.

Clearly plenty of lessons ahead!

User

Quote Originally Posted by WessonCountry View Post
    Thanks, chaps. The Sig is mostly a range toy (and rural defense), rather than EDC, so not too worried about waiting times on that. It sure is a beauty, certainly a better shooter than I am.

Did have one minor malfunction today, with the slide failing to lock at the end of a mag, but the RO said it was because I was anticipating the recoil too much and countering the momentum that usually sets it back.

Clearly plenty of lessons ahead!
    A common issue folks have with their SIG's is that their thumb tends to ride the slide release thereby resulting in the gun not locking back at the end of the mag. I've also had it a couple of times where I'd inadvertently locked the slide while there was still rounds in the mag.

My 2 cents is that it had nothing to do with countering recoil or some such. But I will defer to more experienced shooters to clarify that point.

My big problem right now is flinching. Have shot 300 rounds and 50% are left-of-centre. Without blaming the gun, I reckon the grip on the carry is a bit small for my hands. My trigger finger feels like it has to cock pretty far to the right to get the finger tip on the trigger.

On release: ive had one instance when I went for the mag release and hit the slide release, but that's 100% my fault.

User

I'm guessing you got the Carry Medium grip out the box? Would recommend getting the Carry Large grip. That should solve your issues with reach I imagine.

Might also be worthwhile getting the flat face trigger while you're out shopping. You'll thank me later :-)

Definitely. The trigger is pretty heavy out of the box and not helping (although I've heard it;s better than the glock 19/ M&P 2). Will look into that and a bigger grip - get this party started.

User

Welcome, get fundamentals training to learn good habits, go from there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast