Default Anyone still breeding Chesapeake Bay Retrievers in SA

Hello all. I am searching for a Chesapeake Bay Retriever puppy, or even a first generation cross. Any leads will be gratefully followed.

Default Re: Anyone still breeding Chesapeake Bay Retrievers in SA

I doubt you'll find good Chessie genetics in SA (if that's what you're looking for) You may find some show breeders. Get hold of Retriever Field Trial Clubs and make some enquiries with them, but if you're looking for working stock, you'd be better looking in the US and Canada, they are more popular out there. Out of interest, why specifically a CBR?

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    I doubt you'll find good Chessie genetics in SA (if that's what you're looking for) You may find some show breeders. Get hold of Retriever Field Trial Clubs and make some enquiries with them, but if you're looking for working stock, you'd be better looking in the US and Canada, they are more popular out there. Out of interest, why specifically a CBR?
    Many thanks Springer for your insights. I am looking to continue with CBR . My last two generations of dogs have been CBR, or CBR cross lab. I developed extraordinary relationships with these dogs and would love to continue in similar vein. Not looking to breed, nor to compete in trials etc. Looking for a smart attentive gun dog companion I can train. What would you suggest as alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by Chessie Seeker View Post
    Many thanks Springer for your insights. I am looking to continue with CBR . My last two generations of dogs have been CBR, or CBR cross lab. I developed extraordinary relationships with these dogs and would love to continue in similar vein. Not looking to breed, nor to compete in trials etc. Looking for a smart attentive gun dog companion I can train. What would you suggest as alternative?
    If you've got your heart set on a CBR, I would certainly encourage you to go with your heart and find one. There really is no right answer. What I like and value from a working dog may be very different to your requirements and what you like. Fringe breeds (as far as working stock goes) are not plentiful in SA, so look at the retriever clubs for contacts and you'll get some direction. I'm sure when you eventually find one, it'll make the deal that bit sweeter.

User

...... and if you don't come right with a CBR, get a lab - can never go wrong with a lab! ;-)

Banned

There are some of these dogs in PE (or were), I distinctly recall thinking they were ugly labs (sorry). In my day to day travels I am entering yards by the tens a day and get to see some rare and wonderful things that people have.
    Somewhere in one of the wealthier parts of PE someone had a Malawian that walked a set of these dogs and I saw them often on pavement, but who and where? I also recall they have really weird feeling pelts when you touch them.
    I have put a request on my face book page asking if any of my circle know's the dogs or their owners.
    They were a set of very dark brown and very over weight - Mill Park or Little Walmer it was.
    I also recall they looked at you in a very different way, like no other dog, but close to the head eye thing a B/Collie does when questioning you.
    Am I correct ?

Thanks plenty treeman for askign around. Yes, the pelt is unusual. Colour brown can vary. I think you are correct.