Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Daniel Defense DDM4V7s?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Yes I have such, mid length gas system. DDM4V5
    I thought DDM4V5 had a 16" barrel?

Most 223 that we see here is decent power if not quite full 5.56. The concerns might relate to Barnaul etc. Remember the shorter the barrel the more violent the action, hence wear on bolt etc. The bolt seems to start unlocking that bit earlier and rounding the edge of bolt lugs. Cannot speak for the 11.5 DD but had it with a 14.5 that required an H2 buffer to remedy running on 5.56. The bolt eventually split at the cam pin. Rifles are a dream in that regard.

User

Spartan Arms sell their house brand 12" 223 Wylde AR, which might also be an option.

I can't personally testify as to their reputation, but they are in the 'entry level' / 'budget' range.

User

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I thought DDM4V5 had a 16" barrel?
    So did I. DD confirmed via email that the barrel serial number is that of a 14.5.

User

Cutting down a barrel isn't the best option. Generally speaking the longer the barrel (of the same gas system length) the larger the gas port, meaning it would end up being overgassed.

With a DD, I would not worry about increased bolt wear due to shorter barrel and faster unlock time. These issues were solved many years ago on short guns. Although they would wear faster than a longer barrel gun, the wear would not be considered extreme by any means.

The only issue with an 11.5 inch gun is if you would be required to make factor in a shooting sport, the short barrels don't usually make even minor power factor.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    Cutting down a barrel isn't the best option. Generally speaking the longer the barrel (of the same gas system length) the larger the gas port, meaning it would end up being overgassed.

With a DD, I would not worry about increased bolt wear due to shorter barrel and faster unlock time. These issues were solved many years ago on short guns. Although they would wear faster than a longer barrel gun, the wear would not be considered extreme by any means.

The only issue with an 11.5 inch gun is if you would be required to make factor in a shooting sport, the short barrels don't usually make even minor power factor.
    That and they deafen everybody else in your detail

User

Quote Originally Posted by McD2304 View Post

Yeah, was gonna say that the 11" loses its compactness when you suppress it to prevent concussion servings to bystanders.

My understanding is that the colt 16 has the same gas port as the 14.5. Additionally most commercial 16's are over gassed so cutting them back actually improves things. It cannot increase bolt speed. Yes in the military guns built to spec they do appear to have a handle on bolt wear but crane tests showed increased wear in the shorter barreled ar's. The tests are out there somewhere in a powerpoint presentation. Could not agree more on the concussion from a 11'. A 14.5 can be bad enough with hot ammo and a tin roof.

User

Quote Originally Posted by McD2304 View Post
    Nope, I think my and all the other obnoxious comps beats the short barrels. But the muzzle flash is spectacular even during daytime.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    My understanding is that the colt 16 has the same gas port as the 14.5. Additionally most commercial 16's are over gassed so cutting them back actually improves things. It cannot increase bolt speed. Yes in the military guns built to spec they do appear to have a handle on bolt wear but crane tests showed increased wear in the shorter barreled ar's. The tests are out there somewhere in a powerpoint presentation. Could not agree more on the concussion from a 11'. A 14.5 can be bad enough with hot ammo and a tin roof.
    I muddled up my math, you are correct... a longer barrel (assuming the same gas port location), has a longer dwell time and hence would require a smaller gas port to achieve the same BCG Velocity.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast