User

Default Simultaneous application of competency and firearm licences during amnesty - Possible?

Good afternoon guys. Need some quick guidance. A friend of mine wants to apply for 2 firearms belong to his grandmother that has expired white licences. He still has to apply for his competency though.

Given that the amnesty will put a mountain of strain on an already broken system,there is no way that he will get his competency before the amnesty ends.

I know before the amnesty you first had to apply and obtain your competency before you apply for the firearm license. Is this still the case during amnesty or can he apply for everything at the same time when he hands in the firearms?

This is now assuming his DFO got the memo that it is indeed allowable that a person other than the expired license holder can apply for the license, but that is discussion for another day...

Any clarity will be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Default Re: Simultaneous application of competency and firearm licences during amnesty - Possible?

you have to apply for competency first and the license. Can't be done at the same time. There are quite a few threads on licensing in this forum

User

Default Re: Simultaneous application of competency and firearm licences during amnesty - Possible?

They are supposed to take comp and amnesty licence apps at the same time.
    They will just not work on the licence app until comp is approved.

User

Thanks for the replies thus far, those are the 2 possibilities, and the reason for the confusion and therefore my question. I have indeed searched the forum and found the discussions on the matter, but none of them mentioned the amnesty and if the rule still applies for this process. Guess the best way is to tell my friend to go see his DFO and find out what that spesigic office will or will not do.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    They are supposed to take comp and amnesty licence apps at the same time.
    They will just not work on the licence app until comp is approved.

This is the process, not a theory.
    If the DFO doesn't want to allow it speak to the station commander.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    This is the process, not a theory.
    If the DFO doesn't want to allow it speak to the station commander.
    Thanks Gleock, will relay this message to my friend. Appreciate the help!

Here is first hand experience. I assisted a female friend in May this year. Her Section 13 expired in 2016. She has no other firearms so obviously her competency expired as well.

She submitted competency renewal and re-applied for her firearm under the amnesty.

Her competency was approved 2020/08/12 and she collected her card in September.

Her firearm application is still showing "Received at licencing section" since August.

User

Under "normal" circumstances you have to have your competency certificate before you can apply for a firearm licence.

Under the amnesty you may apply for competency & licence(s) simultaneously. There was a directive to that effect but right now I can't find it.

User

Thanks BBCT, so there is hope! The though of destroying perfectly good functional firearms, or having it land in undeserving hands, makes me nauseous, so if I can avoid it I definately will!