Thread: Bore Guide Help

Default Bore Guide Help

So I haven't been using a bore guide for my 308 so far. Couple questions.

Should I get one?
    Do universal bore guides work well, Tipton makes a fairly cheap one and am not looking to spend too much.
    https://www.huntalot.co.za/tipton-un...bore-guide-kit
    Do you need a bore guide for a Glock 19?

User

Default Re: Bore Guide Help

Use the same bore guide you linked to for my rifles, partly to make sure I don't damage anything, but also to keep the cleaning solvents out of the chamber/magwell.

For handgun it is far to much effort in my opinion. I just use the cleaning kits that came with my Glocks.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thanks will go ahead and get one.

Has anyone used https://www.huntalot.co.za before, are they legit?

I see it as away to keep solvents out of action. But not to avoid damaging stuff. There is so much pressure when your firing a bullet. That I cant see how a patch on a plastic coated rod can do as much damage.

User

When you clean a pistol, you remove the barrel. I don't see the benefit for a bore guide then (nothing can drop in the mechanisms anyway).

Also use the same one in the link for my .308 and havent had any problems with it. Dont know the reseller though.
    I agree with using it to keep the solvents out of the places it should not be, i use the hole provided on the guide to soak my patches/brush as that also makes for a less messy experience. Dont use it when cleaning my handgun

User

Soldierman,
    Just make sure that your cleaning rod is long enough to accommodate the extra length that the bore guide adds.
    There are people who say that a bore guide is an absolute necessity for proper cleaning, and shudder at the thought of using a bore snake for example.
    Who knows?!
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rodrage View Post
    Soldierman,
    Just make sure that your cleaning rod is long enough to accommodate the extra length that the bore guide adds.
    There are people who say that a bore guide is an absolute necessity for proper cleaning, and shudder at the thought of using a bore snake for example.
    Who knows?!
    Rod
    Ah good point, thanks.

User

Bore guides are there to protect the leade from damage caused by the cleaning rod. Not using one is not a problem if you only use a cleaning rod 2-3 times a year or you don't mind reduced precision.

Rods tend to flex and bend when you put pressure on them. Also, people generally don't push and pull directly in a straight line along the bore. It has to do with the way your elbow and shoulder works.

To make matters worse, the contact point between leade and rod is usually in one location causing uneven wear.

To reduce this you need a bore guide that is a close fit to the rod and fits right to the neck portion if the chamber. Something the Tipton and MTM boreguides do not. One size fits all usually means it fits none well.

In my opinion, the cheap tipton bore guides might be great for keeping solvent out of the action, but are not very good for protecting the bore. Still better than nothing until you get something better.

Thanks janfred, something to consider.