Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Drinking while carrying

Quote Originally Posted by WessonCountry View Post
    Have been meaning to ask/start a thread on how folks feel about carrying - concealed or not - at family/friendly gatherings with people who don't have or aren't used to guns. Particularly with young kids (nieces. nephews etc) around. Not from a safety perspective really, more about how it affects those folks and the carrier. I wouldn't really want my nieces to know I'm carrying a gun, could put them off or create unnecessary anxiety, if that makes sense.
    If someone is visibly opposed to me carrying a gun, I am then in the wrong company. I educate them or tell them to leave or leave myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    If someone is visibly opposed to me carrying a gun, I am then in the wrong company. I educate them or tell them to leave or leave myself.

There's a lot of ignorant people or people you can't convince otherwise. It's best that some people do not know at all. I had a Dr freaking out when she saw my gun when I had to take my shirt off. No amount of explaining could convince her that I wasn't going to shoot everyone in site.i showed her my licence and she then calmed down. My usual house GP doesn't even flinch. She carries on as normal because her hubby carries. The world works with all sorts

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Kore Belts

Hailstorm, CHS Guns and SA Tactical institute sells them.

Get the Nylon one because its stiffer than the leather one and the micro adjustments are from Heaven!!
    The good gun belts either have a metal liner inside or a thick plastic or nylon webbing inside. Makes the belt not sag and can take the gun weight. Steven has listed some good ones. Army ant gear belts, crspeed belts are also an option to add on this list

User

I do like to try educate those around me for my reasons for carrying, and try explain the rationale, and debunk the myths etc... My personal experience in my own family and friend circle is that there are people who haven't been brought up being exposed to people legally carrying firearms safely and so there is often an allergic reaction.

I have found that rubbing people's nose in it by open carrying at these things (i have a family friend who open carries his glock at these gatherings - and even i think he is being a tool (my opinion)) never gets a positive response from those who are "on the fence" or are just not used to guns. It doesn't make these bad people, and I am not saying i can't see my friends or family because they don't share my views on this. I just think better to carry concealed (as legally required anyway) and then spread the word gently..

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Nope - you have changed stance.
    I shit you not, as if they are going to pull it out and use it...

You were derisive regarding people who have found it necessary to carry when in those circumstances because they have chosen to still do things that many people no longer do because of safety.
    You commented on something you did not really have experience in and tried to make fools of peoples that do, ( I shit you not, as if they are going to pull it out and use it...)

I will tell you one thing, Rambo I am not and being a proud gun owner I am not, I hate it when people see my weapon, I feel like a wanker. I hate it when a mate say's shit like, " naaa don't worry Dave has a gun on him" - like I am some kinda part time hero. If it was feasible I would carry the smallest most inconspicuous weapon I could buy, I do not enjoy carrying, nor all the responsibility that comes with it, but places I go, way I live, I would be a fool not to carry all the time that I can, even if it requires some effort and some discomfort at times. I do enjoy the feeling of a more level playing field when I am carrying.
    “God made men, but Sam Colt made them equal.”

Leave this now we have both had our say.
    I think he was making the exact point. Why argue? Each to his own, its pretty simple stuff.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post

And don't talk about your gun or even mention it. Pretend it's a huge pimple on your ass. Don't talk about it, don't show it, no one needs to know about it.
    100% - we agree on this at least

User

Default Drinking while carrying

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    There's a lot of ignorant people or people you can't convince otherwise. It's best that some people do not know at all. I had a Dr freaking out when she saw my gun when I had to take my shirt off. No amount of explaining could convince her that I wasn't going to shoot everyone in site.i showed her my licence and she then calmed down. My usual house GP doesn't even flinch. She carries on as normal because her hubby carries. The world works with all sorts
    First prize they should not know.

I find that inviting them to come and shoot helps a lot. And some videos of my son shooting.

But I am lucky in some regard as I am ugly and big. People tend to let me do my own thing.

But I really do make the effort to educate and offer the fun.

I also suspect my daughter’s boyfriends take my friendly invites as veiled passive aggressiveness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in
    Last edited by Grobbie; 24-11-2020 at 15:26.

Banned

One of Cody's friends was stopped from any further sleep overs with same day effect when mother found out I owned a fire arm.
    She said she did not feel safe having her child sleeping in a house where there was a firearm.

I am still digesting this 4 years later.

User

Quote Originally Posted by b20 View Post
    I do like to try educate those around me for my reasons for carrying, and try explain the rationale, and debunk the myths etc... My personal experience in my own family and friend circle is that there are people who haven't been brought up being exposed to people legally carrying firearms safely and so there is often an allergic reaction.

I have found that rubbing people's nose in it by open carrying at these things (i have a family friend who open carries his glock at these gatherings - and even i think he is being a tool (my opinion)) never gets a positive response from those who are "on the fence" or are just not used to guns. It doesn't make these bad people, and I am not saying i can't see my friends or family because they don't share my views on this. I just think better to carry concealed (as legally required anyway) and then spread the word gently..
    I love it most when someone finds out, gets all upset, and someone else in our company mentions that it has been the same for the past 7 years that they have known me and have been at multiple occasions around me.

Openly carrying and displaying is stupid. But the odd time it is just to difficult to hide it 100%.

I am lucky though as I have had very few encounters end negatively. I really try and expose them to the fun. Managed to get a lot of guys at worked armed, trained and pro active firearm owners. But it is sometimes hard to spin the positives to someone that has no idea of our type of lifestyle.

Hunting on the other hand has had some people still not like me. Ah well. Cant save all of the puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    One of Cody's friends was stopped from any further sleep overs with same day effect when mother found out I owned a fire arm.
    She said she did not feel safe having her child sleeping in a house where there was a firearm.

I am still digesting this 4 years later.
    Next time it comes up, ask them so what is the difference between you, treeman, and a policeman or armed response owning a firearm?

The answer: training in most cases.

Guess what many gun owners are probably more responsible and a better shot than many policeman. Also tell them that despite what they have been told, a gun does not grow legs and jump out of it's holster or safe when no one is looking all on it's own.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast