Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Drinking while carrying

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    One of Cody's friends was stopped from any further sleep overs with same day effect when mother found out I owned a fire arm.
    She said she did not feel safe having her child sleeping in a house where there was a firearm.

I am still digesting this 4 years later.
    Very true how people perceive this. There is an interesting book, nothing about guns etc. but they did do research on guns. Called freakonomics/superfreakonomics (not sure in which one) where the authors discussed which is more dangerous, a pool or a gun for kids. (Ok before anyone puts me to the stake it was done on USA statistics). They found kids have a 1 in 11000 chance of death in a pool and with guns a 1 in 1 million. Thus a 100 more likely chance of dying by visiting someone with a pool than visiting someone with a gun. My friends with pools and without guns, are always left speechless …

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    I love it most when someone finds out, gets all upset, and someone else in our company mentions that it has been the same for the past 7 years that they have known me and have been at multiple occasions around me.

Openly carrying and displaying is stupid. But the odd time it is just to difficult to hide it 100%.

I am lucky though as I have had very few encounters end negatively. I really try and expose them to the fun. Managed to get a lot of guys at worked armed, trained and pro active firearm owners. But it is sometimes hard to spin the positives to someone that has no idea of our type of lifestyle.

Hunting on the other hand has had some people still not like me. Ah well. Cant save all of the puppies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mentioned this in the Netflix thread, but I've managed to soften a few peoples attitude on hunting by referring them to a series call MeatEater. Brilliant hunting series. Unless your colleagues/acquaintances are assuming that all hunting is caged hunting, which is where a lot of the anti seems to come from.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    One of Cody's friends was stopped from any further sleep overs with same day effect when mother found out I owned a fire arm.
    She said she did not feel safe having her child sleeping in a house where there was a firearm.

I am still digesting this 4 years later.
    Im probably going to have similar experiences in the future.

I would not be comfortable letting my daughters sleep over somewhere were the main caregiver is not armed (and at least a little bit trained)

User

Quote Originally Posted by SASwart View Post
    Thus a 100 more likely chance of dying by visiting someone with a pool than visiting someone with a gun. My friends with pools and without guns, are always left speechless …
    Hardly the same is it.
    Is we treated guns like we did swimming pools and allowed our kids and the neighbours kids unfettered and unsupervised access to them any time and generally took the same attitude towards guns as we do swimming pools it am sure the accident numbers would be comparible.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    Hardly the same is it.
    Is we treated guns like we did swimming pools and allowed our kids and the neighbours kids unfettered and unsupervised access to them any time and generally took the same attitude towards guns as we do swimming pools it am sure the accident numbers would be comparible.

I dont know hey - i think it is pretty similar. If you let a bunch of toddlers near a pool without watching them, you are asking for tragedy. Pools are extremely dangerous things.

User

Quote Originally Posted by b20 View Post
    I dont know hey - i think it is pretty similar. If you let a bunch of toddlers near a pool without watching them, you are asking for tragedy. Pools are extremely dangerous things.
    I didn't say pools were not dangerous just that we don't treat them with the same level of respect as we do guns so comparing the statistics is a bit pointless.

User

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    I didn't say pools were not dangerous just that we don't treat them with the same level of respect as we do guns so comparing the statistics is a bit pointless.

The poster did say it was a US statistic, the way they treat pools might be different to us and they certainly treat guns different to us.

Over here, nobody needs to store their pools in a safe if they are not carrying them.

Some really silly and off topic arguments on this thread now, and that while we do not have to convince each other of anything.

Back to the topic.

The laws and regulations about carry and drinking, drinking and driving are known.
    Add common sense to that and it is not very complicated, still everyone decides for him/her self.

As far as carry around people is concerned, the fewer people know I carry the better, whether at work, driving, at a braai, anywhere really.

Where others carry legally, or choose not to, up to them really.

User

I've carried a gun while swimming, had nowhere else safe to put it and came prepared with a small backpack and waterproof pouch for it. I've done the same while rafting.

I always hike armed with the gun in a holster or purpose made moonbag

User

i carry every day, if i am going to stop past pub on way home, i have a 2 drink limit, both out of respect for driving and respect for the fact i am putting myself in a compromised position with my ability to use gun effectively and stepping into legal negative if drunk.
    when i go out for a proper jol, i carry bank card and cell only, do not drive or carry. my wife generally is taxi she does not drink and carries. if i am not with wife plan is submissive victim

User

I had the opportunity to do a "braai shoot" (invitation only event) late last year. At a private range with qualified instructor. Shot beforehand to set benchmark.

Lighted the fire and had a beer. Shot another round. Put meat on grill with another beer, and shoot another round, etc......... Everyone drank at own pace and between shoots just sat around fire braaing and chatting away (as per a normal braai at home). Went on till last shoot after 6th beer. (Instructor and "sidekick" sticked with the Oros).

I unfortunately did not keep copy of exact times and scores (and obviously not uploaded as activity on NATSHOOT), but the general trend was:
    1st 2 beers: Slightly slower with slightly better accuracy as "clean"
    3 beers: Time about the same as with 1&2 beers, but accuracy deteriorated
    From 4th beer onwards all went pear-shaped (still hit the targets, but time and accuracy not even comparable to previous)

I am not advocating having a dop before precision shooting (or for that matter drinking and shooting at all), but it was a very insightful exercise in a controlled environment for me.

Although I am told I can handle my liquor quite well (hold my pose) I am not a "hard drinker" and my limit is usually 1.5 beers on occasion. Some of the heavier/regular drinkers shooting deteriorated faster than me, and others had no effect against their benchmark at the end of their sixpack. It therefore seems that it depends on individual, and not necessarily how many you had.

Granted it was not a scientific experiment, but interesting to do and experience and observe the others nonetheless.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast