Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 120
  1. #21

    Default Re: Drinking while carrying

    Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    If you are having enough to get to that point where the condition of your weapon makes a difference to how safe you are, you're having too much IMO.



    Your intent and actions are taken into account. "Under the influence" is intentionally open to interpretation. Moving your gun to your safe after a sip of wine is not 'handling under the influence' as intended by the Act. If your actions are irresponsible or lead to harm then you need to be concerned.
    Agree with you, mate, just trying to understand where the legal lines are drawn. Do you know if there's a an alcohol limit for what SAPS would consider under the influence? As they do with driving - the same limit? Also, hypothetically, if you strap up sober, go out have 12 drinks get home and move your gun from your holster to your safe, where does that fall legally? Obviously no-one is going to be there to check, but that would be against the Act, right? Unless there's a public space stipulation.

  2. #22
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    JHB and BFN
    Age
    44
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WessonCountry View Post
    Huh? I was saying it's a bit harsh to judge people who like a drink. Pretty sure it's obvious from the thread who had those opinions - and I hardly went after anyone, just said let's not judge. I replied directly to SLR, but if you read three posts up you'll see Springer made the same point.

    I agree, individuals' choices are exactly that, so don't get judgmental about folks who like a drink.
    I'm glad that you cleared the murky waters.
    I obviously got the wrong end of your jumbled message.

    Judging those who enjoy a drink in not my forté.
    My throat gets dry too from dust at work and needs an occasional dusting too...

    What I personally don't do is plan a time with mates then do the edc thing.
    If it so happens that someone has A beer whilst carrying, that 1 beer shouldn't cloud judgement and won't cause you to be under the influence.

    The odd exception of a person who is super fit and generally doesn't drink is different as they will probably be feeling the fermented hops halfway through the beer anyway thus judgement is being scrambled.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Drinking while carrying

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire-stick View Post
    I'm glad that you cleared the murky waters.
    I obviously got the wrong end of your jumbled message.

    Judging those who enjoy a drink in not my forté.
    My throat gets dry too from dust at work and needs an occasional dusting too...

    What I personally don't do is plan a time with mates then do the edc thing.
    If it so happens that someone has A beer whilst carrying, that 1 beer shouldn't cloud judgement and won't cause you to be under the influence.

    The odd exception of a person who is super fit and generally doesn't drink is different as they will probably be feeling the fermented hops halfway through the beer anyway thus judgement is being scrambled.
    Apologies for not being clear.

    Personally, I'd love to run a range experiment. Let a bloke shoot a mag, give him a beer and see the difference on target, then a second etc.

    Legal aside, I wouldn't carry if I went out drinking, there are other ways to keep reasonably safe and responsible.

    Think we're on the same page.

  4. #24
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    43
    Posts
    593

    Default Re: Drinking while carrying

    Quote Originally Posted by WessonCountry View Post

    Personally, I'd love to run a range experiment. Let a bloke shoot a mag, give him a beer and see the difference on target, then a second etc.

    .
    We did it at varsity for a drinking and driving demo - shot of vodka, then ride a bicycle around a track with correct hand signals etc.
    A friend could barely walk, was battling to talk coherently, but put him on the bicycle and he wound ride flawlessly around the track.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Drinking while carrying

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    We did it at varsity for a drinking and driving demo - shot of vodka, then ride a bicycle around a track with correct hand signals etc.
    A friend could barely walk, was battling to talk coherently, but put him on the bicycle and he wound ride flawlessly around the track.
    Was that 3rd year cycology?

  6. #26
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    West Rand
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,128

    Default Re: Drinking while carrying

    Quote Originally Posted by WessonCountry View Post
    Agree with you, mate, just trying to understand where the legal lines are drawn. Do you know if there's a an alcohol limit for what SAPS would consider under the influence? As they do with driving - the same limit? Also, hypothetically, if you strap up sober, go out have 12 drinks get home and move your gun from your holster to your safe, where does that fall legally? Obviously no-one is going to be there to check, but that would be against the Act, right? Unless there's a public space stipulation.
    There is no specified limit, as I said it is intentionally left open to interpretation.

  7. #27
    Member Steven001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    The Vaal Triangle
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,523

    Default Re: Drinking while carrying

    I take my wife and 2 girls out for lunch and have 3 draughts, we get home and are followed in by a car with 5 armed men, so um, yeah I dont go looking for shit with my EDC, I wouldnt even remove it from the holster after even 1 beer, but im not leaving it in a bag unloaded or in the safe because I dont like getting murdered.....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #28

    Default Re: Drinking while carrying

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    I take my wife and 2 girls out for lunch and have 3 draughts, we get home and are followed in by a car with 5 armed men, so um, yeah I dont go looking for shit with my EDC, I wouldnt even remove it from the holster after even 1 beer, but im not leaving it in a bag unloaded or in the safe because I dont like getting murdered.....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Precisely my concern. But in this case it's probably better if your wife drove. Carrying under the influence might not be a major issue, but driving AND carrying under the influence just gives cops too many reasons to arrest you and confiscate your FA should you be pulled over.. that's what I've gathered from going through different threads.

    Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

  9. #29
    Member Steven001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    The Vaal Triangle
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,523

    Default Re: Drinking while carrying

    Quote Originally Posted by beretta9mm View Post
    Precisely my concern. But in this case it's probably better if your wife drove. Carrying under the influence might not be a major issue, but driving AND carrying under the influence just gives cops too many reasons to arrest you and confiscate your FA should you be pulled over.. that's what I've gathered from going through different threads.

    Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    She often does also likes to have a drink or 2.
    My luck is that our town is so fucked and bankrupt that I havent seen a random roadblock in at least 6 years, no jokes...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #30

    Default Re: Drinking while carrying

    Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Was that 3rd year cycology?
    Ha!

    Please see yourself out.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •