Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Default Re: Drinking while carrying

Quote Originally Posted by GORBY View Post
    I had the opportunity to do a "braai shoot" (invitation only event) late last year. At a private range with qualified instructor. Shot beforehand to set benchmark.

Lighted the fire and had a beer. Shot another round. Put meat on grill with another beer, and shoot another round, etc......... Everyone drank at own pace and between shoots just sat around fire braaing and chatting away (as per a normal braai at home). Went on till last shoot after 6th beer. (Instructor and "sidekick" sticked with the Oros).

I unfortunately did not keep copy of exact times and scores (and obviously not uploaded as activity on NATSHOOT), but the general trend was:
    1st 2 beers: Slightly slower with slightly better accuracy as "clean"
    3 beers: Time about the same as with 1&2 beers, but accuracy deteriorated
    From 4th beer onwards all went pear-shaped (still hit the targets, but time and accuracy not even comparable to previous)

I am not advocating having a dop before precision shooting (or for that matter drinking and shooting at all), but it was a very insightful exercise in a controlled environment for me.

Although I am told I can handle my liquor quite well (hold my pose) I am not a "hard drinker" and my limit is usually 1.5 beers on occasion. Some of the heavier/regular drinkers shooting deteriorated faster than me, and others had no effect against their benchmark at the end of their sixpack. It therefore seems that it depends on individual, and not necessarily how many you had.

Granted it was not a scientific experiment, but interesting to do and experience and observe the others nonetheless.
    realistic tactical training

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi_ View Post
    realistic tactical training
    A crime.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Banned

Lesson from Treeman.
    This is one of those things you do not post about on GS or any platform. There are legalities, restrictions, image and pretenses to be upheld.
    The world we live in is no longer real or practical and protocol supersedes everything else.
    I battle with this as my history will confirm.

No one touch's a gun if they have had a drink, if a gun owner attends a wedding he does not raise and drink a toast, he just raises a glass.
    It's simpler, if not brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    No one touch's a gun if they have had a drink.
    ...unless they have to.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    ...unless they have to.
    The purest would argue that you should not have had access to it if drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    The purest would argue that you should not have had access to it if drinking.
    Purist or purest. Either way, the bottom line is: be sensible. Having a few beers is not illegal, it is still possible to be social and responsible. There is no need to have this issue pulled through its arse, nor is it a platform for people to get all righteous and lecture others about the value of enjoying a few drinks with one's mates. If people can't handle their booze, or handle themselves while having a few, please don't get all in my face about it.

Purist or purest. Either way, the bottom line is: be sensible. Having a few beers is not illegal, it is still possible to be social and responsible. There is no need to have this issue pulled through its arse, nor is it a platform for people to get all righteous and lecture others about the value of enjoying a few drinks with one's mates. If people can't handle their booze, or handle themselves while having a few, please don't get all in my face about it.
    Thing is you better hope to high heaven that nothing goes down were in you shoot someone or kill someone while having had a few drinks.
    You could find yourself in a world of hurt with the law whether your judgement was impeded or not.

Banned

exactly ----- but good luck ! will always be some guy being paid enough to appose this logic.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Thing is you better hope to high heaven that nothing goes down were in you shoot someone or kill someone while having had a few drinks.
    You could find yourself in a world of hurt with the law whether your judgement was impeded or not.
    Which came first, the skirt or the rapist?

I'd rather fear SAPS officer roulette. Even if you do everything right there is no way you will get off unscathed every time.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13