User

Default Man Killed on Hunting Trip.

The link is in Afrikaans. In short, a 50 year old hunter got shot fatally, by accident, while he and two other hunters were following a wounded kudu in the Naboomspruit area. The hunters lost sight of each other during the follow up of the wounded animal. Police are investigating etc.

https://maroelamedia.co.za/nuus/sa-n...erf-op-jagtog/

User

Default Re: Man Killed on Hunting Trip.

I am not sure exactly what happened in this situation, so I can't comment on it but follow ups like this can easily result in tragedy. One of the biggest problems we experience when trailing a wounded animal is that clients head off on their own. This poses a problem when the animal is spotted but the location of some members of the party are unknown.

You would think that everyone knows this by now but, do not shoot at a target that you have not positively identified by SIGHT.

Apart from that, hunters unfamiliar with the area can get lost. I well remember searching for a client, who set off on his own course after wounding an eland, until the small hours of the morning.

User

I was once in a position to rescue a friend after he had been shot by a buddy whom he had invited on a kudu hunt. He was shot high through the femur with a 180gn PMP bullet from a 308W rifle. He was lucky to survive the shot, especially after the cellular network went down for an hour just after he was shot. This delayed everything and he nearly bled dry while waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

Be very careful when out in the bush, even when hunting alone. You never know...

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Tragic.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Shit happens. I had a troop shot on patrol on the Bots border by a PH doing a follow-up on a wounded Kudu. Took out his elbow, his arm atrophied totally and he killed himself.