User

Default Interesting Re-licensing

My son had to re-license his S13 9mm pistol with his licence expiring early ibn Dec 2020.
    He went to the Boksburg North DFO before his 90 day period to renew his licence. He was told
    that they only worked on appointments and made an appointment for him to come in 6 weeks
    later. This would be well into the 90 day period. The appointment was made and countersigned by him and the DFO. He was assured that because he was there before the 90 day period there would be no problems.

He went in late in October at 8am for his appointment and had a queue of more than 50 people ahead
    of him. That told him that they no longer worked on the appointment system and that he would have
    to wait his turn. He was told that they would not be able to help him that day.

He returned the next morning at 6am. When the DFO arrived he said that he was on his own and could only help the 1st 10 people. On another occasion he missed out by 2 places and on a third attempt they were processing security company applications.

He went yesterday morning at 4am (His 4th attempt) and was 2nd in the queue. He was helped and had no problem re-applying for his licence and competency even though it is less than a month from the expiry date. Again the queue was very long and many people were turned away. Apparently they are handling 30 applications per day. Each licence and each competency counts as an application. If someone is licencing 5 firearms it counts as 5 applications

Default Re: Interesting Re-licensing

Sounds like a frikken nightmare.

Well I got an approval yesterday on 125 Working Days.

User

I applied for renewal on 27th July. Current status is : "No status available contact the DFO"
    They are due to expire on 2 Jan.

User

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    I applied for renewal on 27th July. Current status is : "No status available contact the DFO"
    They are due to expire on 2 Jan.

Nope, as long as you have applied it remains valid until the application has been finalized. Just keep your receipt as proof of having applied.

User

Yip, that is why it does not bother me at all. Old license stays valid until renewal is finalized.

Crazy how some stations have huge amounts of people like above while others in JHB have only a couple people per day

User

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    Yip, that is why it does not bother me at all. Old license stays valid until renewal is finalized.
    My concern here is you get stopped by a cop who doesnt know how it works and wants to arrest you, because you carrying an "expired" firearm..