Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Weaver Or Isosceles Stance

So which one do you prefer.
    Are you more accurate with one over the other.
    Do you use different stances for different scenarios.

User

Default Re: Weaver Or Isosceles Stance

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    So which one do you prefer.
    Are you more accurate with one over the other.
    Do you use different stances for different scenarios.
    How do you define accuracy? Which is more accurate whilst standing still and shooting bullseye targets?

Also, in what application do you want to define accuracy? Target or defensive shooting?

In my limited opinion, stance is less of an issue. What is in my opinion a very underrated element is the ability to shoot whilst moving.

But I prefer isosceles as there is more control/strength on the grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I tried Isosceles and walking yesterday, I can't

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    How do you define accuracy? Which is more accurate whilst standing still and shooting bullseye targets?

Also, in what application do you want to define accuracy? Target or defensive shooting?

In my limited opinion, stance is less of an issue. What is in my opinion a very underrated element is the ability to shoot whilst moving.

But I prefer isosceles as there is more control/strength on the grip.

For whatever you shoot the most or whatever scenario you find yourself shooting the most.

I've been using isosceles because that is how I was taught but I tried weaver (dry fire) and it felt pretty good, so will test it out at the range soon.

Just curious as to what the more experienced folk here use and why.

User

As a sports shooter, it's a stance that's ready to explode out of position. Tends to be dominant leg slightly forward, weight on the balls of the feet, knees slight bent and feet shoulder width apart. Though we end up shooting and training in multiple stances - shooting on the move, seated, 1 leg in the air, prone, kneeling etc etc.

User

For whatever you shoot the most or whatever scenario you find yourself shooting the most.

I've been using isosceles because that is how I was taught but I tried weaver (dry fire) and it felt pretty good, so will test it out at the range soon.

Just curious as to what the more experienced folk here use and why.
    The Weaver feels unbalanced from a support hand perspective.

I can sort of replicate my normal arm position when on my side on the ground, or from a low cover position.

But it would be very subjective as what works for me might not work for you.

Maybe create a stage with most of the elements, maybe some cover positions strong and weak side, low cover and prone. Then shoot it a couple of times using the different stances. Measure performance and what it feels like.

I also think we underestimate the value of strong hand and support hand only as well as retention shooting.

Are you doing any sport shooting?

The Weaver feels unbalanced from a support hand perspective.

I can sort of replicate my normal arm position when on my side on the ground, or from a low cover position.

But it would be very subjective as what works for me might not work for you.

Maybe create a stage with most of the elements, maybe some cover positions strong and weak side, low cover and prone. Then shoot it a couple of times using the different stances. Measure performance and what it feels like.

I also think we underestimate the value of strong hand and support hand only as well as retention shooting.

Are you doing any sport shooting?

Nope, not good enough yet. Started a weight training program a little while back and my strength is improving.
    I really have ignored my training and so am getting back into it, correcting all the errors.

User

Modified versions of isosceles.

Watch both high level IPSC/USPSA shooters and SEALS/Delta/HRT anyone else who drills dynamic shooting all day.

User

Nope, not good enough yet. Started a weight training program a little while back and my strength is improving.
    I really have ignored my training and so am getting back into it, correcting all the errors.
    Well done for starting.

People do 2 things.

They over estimate how easy it is to change your habits.

The under estimate how long it takes to get the improvement.

Just keep plugging away. But keep at it.

Keep your planning simple. Maybe invest in some captains of crush and get the grip strength going. Gets some rubber bands to work the fingers in the other directions as well.

https://ironmind.com/export/sites/ir...let_091219.pdf

Well done for starting.

People do 2 things.

They over estimate how easy it is to change your habits.

The under estimate how long it takes to get the improvement.

Just keep plugging away. But keep at it.

Keep your planning simple. Maybe invest in some captains of crush and get the grip strength going. Gets some rubber bands to work the fingers in the other directions as well.

https://ironmind.com/export/sites/ir...let_091219.pdf

Pretty well doing this program https://www.bullseyepistol.com/stamina.htm

The way I do those forearm curls it burns, will have a decent grip in no time :) I don't hold it like he does in the gif, I just use the fingertips of the fingers to grip the bar so that you get a proper workout of the forearms. I could just hop on my climbing wall but that is at a 45 degree angle and I need to lose a bit of weight first :)

Psyched to get everything right for when my Glock 17 Gen 5 arrives in a few months.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast