Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Weaver Or Isosceles Stance

Isosceles is better for movement. Weaver is one-sided and if you don't pay attention the push/pull effect can throw you off target or cause strange recoil movement. Isosceles, knees bent is best, IMO, allows faster movement and rotation on the spot, in both directions.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Yeah tested weaver today, felt fine but I think I prefer isosceles. Probably because that is what I have been using.

When I get the basics right in terms of holding the gun, etc. and actually hit on target I will want to move and shoot but that is a little ways off as my shooting is pretty crap at the moment. Need lots more practice. Will probably need a proper instructor if things don't improve but will wait until I have done a few months of weights just to get some decent grip strength, etc.
    Why are you so concerned with strength? Did you have something happen medically?
    Grip strength makes a difference but this is a bigger factor later on in the game. There are plenty petit women who shoot competition and do well doing so. They don't have crushing grip strength...

What gun are you currently shooting?
    What sights are on the gun?
    How long have you been shooting for?

Quote Originally Posted by wthang View Post
    Why are you so concerned with strength? Did you have something happen medically?
    Grip strength makes a difference but this is a bigger factor later on in the game. There are plenty petit women who shoot competition and do well doing so. They don't have crushing grip strength...

What gun are you currently shooting?
    What sights are on the gun?
    How long have you been shooting for?
    No, just went through a long period of sitting behind the PC with no exercise so got very weak in the biceps, etc.. I used to shake when holding the gun with a decent grip. Yes, that weak.
    Don't know, just heard through most sources that you need to grip fairly hard and have a rigged platform (arms) to hit bullseye. I am hitting high and right, but improved a little today at the range. Yes, I know I have seen some very petite ladies shoot well...

Shooting a Glock 19 Gen 4.
    Standard Glock sights.
    A few weeks :)

When I first got the gun I shot at 5m and was satisfied that I was good to go. Never really went to the range after that.

Been shooting at 10m now and am hitting high and left like I mentioned. Feels like I've got the right grip and can't figure out why I'm hitting left. Am thinking of taking the gun in and have a professional just test it. I know it's probably me but just for peace of mind and confidence it will help a lot, as I've become a bit despondent with my shooting.

My interest in firearms has piqued recently and getting to a good skill level is on the top of my to do list right now.

Anyway, that is my sob story.

User

Get proper training before you teach yourself bad habits.

User

No, just went through a long period of sitting behind the PC with no exercise so got very weak in the biceps, etc.. I used to shake when holding the gun with a decent grip. Yes, that weak.
    Don't know, just heard through most sources that you need to grip fairly hard and have a rigged platform (arms) to hit bullseye. I am hitting high and right, but improved a little today at the range. Yes, I know I have seen some very petite ladies shoot well...

Standard Glock sights.

When I first got the gun I shot at 5m and was satisfied that I was good to go. Never really went to the range after that.

Been shooting at 10m now and am hitting high and left like I mentioned. Feels like I've got the right grip and can't figure out why I'm hitting left. Am thinking of taking the gun in and have a professional just test it. I know it's probably me but just for peace of mind and confidence it will help a lot, as I've become a bit despondent with my shooting.

My interest in firearms has piqued recently and getting to a good skill level is on the top of my to do list right now.

Nothing wrong man! Keep at it.

High and right might be finger trigger position, flinching, skew sights too tight a grip. Too many to mention.

Where are you based? I dont see any info on your profile.

Couple of guys can help. Mark Groom, Terrick Naude, Mark Human.

Even some guys on the forum that have a little more experience can even help you get going.

It takes a while to get somewhere, so just keep at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

In Cape Town get onto the next Rusty Gunman presented by MDW at FBSSC. There was one yesterday AFAIK

User

Been shooting at 10m now and am hitting high and left like I mentioned. Feels like I've got the right grip and can't figure out why I'm hitting left.
    Stop messing around and "thinking". Put the gun on a rest and shoot it like you would shoot a precision rifle. Slow, gentle trigger squeezes between each shot. See where your shots land.

If you're right-handed, high left is traditionally a "flinch" and that's a bad thing. A really bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Stop messing around and "thinking". Put the gun on a rest and shoot it like you would shoot a precision rifle. Slow, gentle trigger squeezes between each shot. See where your shots land.

If you're right-handed, high left is traditionally a "flinch" and that's a bad thing. A really bad thing.
    Thanks guys will look into some of those guys. And sorry I wrote high right first, I meant high left!

I don't feel like I'm flinching most of the time, I do once and a while, but will check on that next time.

I actually meant to shoot one handed just to see where the shot lands and if it's still high left but got so wrapped up that I forgot.

User

Standard Glock sights.

You are over thinking it.
    For now just hold the gun tight enough that the sights don't move during the trigger pull.
    You can start worrying about recoil management at a later stage.
    More grip pressure in your off hand, so that you maintain dexterity in your trigger hand.

User

Many people flinch when they start shooting. It's not a very very bad thing.... It's just something to fix and easy to do so.

Get snapcaps/training rounds and have someone load or mags for you.

I recall it being suggested before that you get another shooter to shoot he gun.

If the gun was new that trigger is also still being broken in and will get better.

Do a dot torture type drill and start by not timing anything. Just getting the hits. Focus on trigger reset as it'll also help you to figure out if you have an issue with grip or trigger pull. You might well be slapping or start to when you speed up.

Eventually you want to have a crushing grip on your gun but that's when you have accuracy down and am chasing speed.

Your support hand is meant to grip the gun. Your strong hand is meant to be 30-40% vs your support hand 70-60%. This you can do regardless of the amount of "weight" you can put into it. This will be part of the fundamentals.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast