Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Weaver Or Isosceles Stance

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Pretty well doing this program https://www.bullseyepistol.com/stamina.htm

The way I do those forearm curls it burns, will have a decent grip in no time :) I don't hold it like he does in the gif, I just use the fingertips of the fingers to grip the bar so that you get a proper workout of the forearms. I could just hop on my climbing wall but that is at a 45 degree angle and I need to lose a bit of weight first :)

Psyched to get everything right for when my Glock 17 Gen 5 arrives in a few months.
    If you have the cash, get a Umarex Glock 17. It will work with all your holsters etc. And is a great training tool for the meanwhile, and when you cant go to the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    If you have the cash, get a Umarex Glock 17. It will work with all your holsters etc. And is a great training tool for the meanwhile, and when you cant go to the range.

This works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post

Honestly I don't have R3k to burn right now on what I see as a luxury and would rather spend it on stuff for my guns or ammo for some real shooting, but can see how it would be effective.

User

When I started shooting handguns the Weaver stance was the pinnacle of progress, so that is what everybody advocated and used. It was also an easy transgression from off-hand rifle shooting to this stance, as there are many similarities. I thought I knew everything, so I stuck to it, regarding the Iso. stance a very much a gamer's option and totally un-tacticool.

Later I got into serious competitive shooting and wanted to shave milliseconds off my times. This made me experiment with various options w.r.t. grip and stance, amongst others. I found that with a proper grip (a lot more to it than just finger position) I could reduce my recovery times (time to get sights back on target after a shot) by quite a lot. This (better) grip went very well with an Iso stance, so I did the conversion. It took me quite a while and many thousands of rounds to become "natural" to me.

I can still use the Weaver and many other stances, and do practice them occasionally so I can revert in case a certain scenario makes that the more appropriate choice. This could be on the range or on the street.

To conclude, I would recommend the Isosceles stance for everything, with the proviso that there are scenarios where a number of other stances would be more useable.

User

I've found that it is easier and faster for me, to transition between wider targets while using the isosceles stance. Like you are "winding up" in the one direction and "unwinding" in the other direction.

Google Rob Leatham stance myth. And watch the okes at the compo's. Stance is irrelevant. I had to find a rabid animal in bad mist off a quad bike at night. Shot it in a leaning standing position awkwardly trying to balance my weight on an incline as the bike rolls forward. Was not a great shot and it needed a second dismounted one, point is when you have to react quickly stance is your body's natural balance in whatever position you're in at the time.

To me there is alot more important steps to getting shots on target then the stand. The stand is important.
    But once you sort out sight picture. Correct grip. Trigger pull. And understand what the firearm is going to do and how you work with that to improve your accuracy and speed. Then worry about smaller things.

I stand comfortable. One day one way. Another day next. When I am going to move while firing it differs again. But the other fundamentals where my hands meet the firearm is consistent.

The most important thing Claypigeon shooting has taught me was dont think to much when you shoot.

Get the basics correct. So its instinct. Then shoot and dont think to much. The moment you start thinking your brain is over working ad your all over the place and slow down.

But thats what ive learned over years of shooting and works for me.

When your new. Get a person or trainer who can shoot. Not a buddy who thinks he can. A person who actually knows and can shoot. To give you in person training and tips.

Reading and youtube helps. But does not come close to a person in real life on range showing you correctly.

User

The stance has not got much to do with the shooting part of it. You can be leaning around a corner about to fall over but if the sight picture and trigger control is there you will make the shot.

Its more about setting yourself up to move efficiently before and after the shot. Standing more square allows you to push off in either direction or rotate at the waist and shoot either direction while moving. It shouldn't be a 'true' isosceles stance always, but closer to it at most times. If you come up on cover of some kind then the scenario is going to determine how best to stand and shoot

User

Within the professional industry we don't teach stances, haven't for a long time, instead we focus on how to shoot and manipulate the weapons regardless of how the body is oriented, the "stance" will manifest itself according to the tactical situation at hand.

Yeah tested weaver today, felt fine but I think I prefer isosceles. Probably because that is what I have been using.

When I get the basics right in terms of holding the gun, etc. and actually hit on target I will want to move and shoot but that is a little ways off as my shooting is pretty crap at the moment. Need lots more practice. Will probably need a proper instructor if things don't improve but will wait until I have done a few months of weights just to get some decent grip strength, etc.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast