User

Default My rollercoaster to my current EDC pistol

Yeah I know this will probably be more of a blog, on a forum...

So I got married and we moved into our own place. Soon thereafter we had a break-in and I inherited a Star. I started being that guy that carried the FA 10 days a year at most, and always with me when we travelled somewhere in the car. That was it.

Then about 5/6 years ago I started shooting more with the pistol and with my Dad and Brother's P07 and realized I could not count on the Star as reliable nor enjoyable. So my research started. But every time I wanted to buy a new FA something else came up. So 3 years ago I realized enough is enough and started in earnest to save for a new pistol.

But I had a problem (and yes people would probably think this is a non-issue, but being in the legal field I did not want to take a chance at the time). So I am dedicated and was at the time, but I had 4 FA's on S15. Thus I could not register one as S13. I wanted to do things according to the book so I had to either remove a FA to make space or wait until I could relicense (which was then a 2 years away). I struggled hard with the waiting and spent it shooting at ranges different firearms and reading and watching reviews in different FA's.

I was convinced on getting a Glock 26 and justified buying it under S16. Then Glock announced it would release the Gen 5, so I waited hoping for prices to drop and hoping for a G26 in gen 5. While waiting I carried on reading and going to shops and ranges, even in my normal working clothes trying to see what it would be like. At this stage a friend (yeah I know you are reading this :) got a G43 and I was impressed at how well he could conceal... but that was it, just impressed until one day it all changed.

I met a CZ P01 Omega and I was convinced this is the FA I want. Youtube and further readiing convinced me, this pistol is both beautiful and NAto tested it, it does not fail. So I started saving more. The G26 Gen 5 came but I wanted the P01 and was hoping to get one Huntex that year. I also briefly considered the CZ Rami but it felt awkward and very heavy.

Then one day as a roofkyker here on gunsite I read 2 comments that made me think (one was from BigT). It was get a FA asap and get what you want later and the other was to get 2 FA's in case the first is at the Police. This stayed at the back of my mind.

So after much thought (and maybe I got it wrong still) I convinced myself that the CZ was probably not best for EDC for me right then at that stage (parts, beavertail, being the size to conceal with worki clothes etc.) and that a G26 would be nice, but it is in between a Glock 43 and G 19. So I started looking at G19 and a 43.

So huntex arrived and I spotted an insane deal that I have never seen again on CZ P10C's. This was day 1 of huntex and after much thought, especially on the "get a firearm asap", I purchased one on the last day last hour. Part of the reason was the price was so ridiculous that I could actually buy 2 FA's (ticking the 2nd comment mentioned above). I got the P10C on S16, I subsequently relicensed one of my S15's to S16 and with my leftover savings I bought a G43 and licensed it on S13.

I do not have any buyers remorse with either. The G43 is so small I can carry always everywhere and with my line of work a big bulge and clips are not ideal. G43 with a Ulti clip (thanks to my good friends recommendation) works beautifully. The P10 is for fun and home defense and the occasional carry.

I do however have buyers remorse for not buying a Glock 26 and the P01, but I will get those, soon.

Default Re: My rollercoaster to my current EDC pistol

Great read and i think this happens quite often to a lot of first time buyers.

You've done the right thing and listened to the good advice. You do not have to be attached to your FA for life and you can always change FAs as you need/ please. I know it's a shlep with applications but as least you have backup FAs. Good on you.

User

Thanks for sharing. They are all great guns!!

FWIW I dont own any of the firearm that I owned 2 years ago anymore....You can always sell and buy what you desire, but I think I have a bit of a problem.

User

Good read. Thanks for sharing.

I've been wanting a G26 for some time but I'd also like a G17 for sport shooting...

Decisions....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
    Good read. Thanks for sharing.

I've been wanting a G26 for some time but I'd also like a G17 for sport shooting...

Decisions....
    Get both.....LOL

You think
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. They are all great guns!!

FWIW I dont own any of the firearm that I owned 2 years ago anymore....You can always sell and buy what you desire, but I think I have a bit of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Basjan View Post
    Get both.....LOL
    Sounds about right

Quote Originally Posted by parthyc View Post
    Sounds about right
    It's what I done, thanks to the advice of Gunsite members! Was going to go for a Howa 223 but was convinced otherwise, soooo glad I was talked out of it.

Thank you for the read.
    I think a lot of us has been in the same boat.