Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Shot to the head

My Father used to tell me about his old neighbor who tried to commit suicide. When my Father was a kid the neighbor and his wife had a suicide pact which they carried out one day.The old man and his wife were both war veterans and as my Father said they were old and tired.
    The old man shot his wife between eyes and himself in the ear.
    They both survived practically unharmed, the bullet bounced off wife's skull and traveled under skin over skull to back of head, his bullet got stuck in his ear - Dad said you could see it.
    I have often wondered about this story, now I see this.

https://scontent.fcpt1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...d1&oe=5FEE64B4

User

Default Re: Shot to the head

Ive seen two cases with 6.35 and I think 38 from a snubbie lead rounds failing to penetrate the skull and running along under the skin for some distance before exciting. I'd expect a flat on shot to penetrate and suspect those both entered at a shallow angle during the fight but it seems weirder things have happened.

User

Skulls are hard.

I read a story by a US cop involved in a raid, where one of the drug suspects had a 5 shot .38 snubbie emptied into his face from point blank and survived - the rounds that hit travelled under the skin, around the skull. He fell over, they assumed he was dead, then woke up while they were all chilling after securing the scene.

I've also personally seen a person who had recovered from a suicide attempt - he had fired a 9mmP under his chin, upwards into his head - the bullet passed between his lower jawbones, through his palate, and was then deflected out of his face by bone. He had a slight scar where it entered and exited. These are exceptional stories, but yeah. Skulls are hard.

User

This is why a T-zone shot is the requirement even with full power pistol ammo, not just a 'headshot'

Wow would think a 38 would be able to penetrate even the hardest skull. Watched one of those ID programs and a guy was to be assassinated by the mob, was shot several times in the skull with a .22 and they never penetrated.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    the bullet bounced off wife's skull and traveled under skin over skull to back of head
    A friend of mine was held up outside his shop one day after opening. The robbers shot him at close range with a 9mm and the bullet did exactly the same thing to him. It was a RN, not a HP.

He survived, but spoke with a slur at times. It often sounded like he had been drinking.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    My Father used to tell me about his old neighbor who tried to commit suicide. When my Father was a kid the neighbor and his wife had a suicide pact which they carried out one day.The old man and his wife were both war veterans and as my Father said they were old and tired.
    The old man shot his wife between eyes and himself in the ear.
    They both survived practically unharmed, the bullet bounced off wife's skull and traveled under skin over skull to back of head, his bullet got stuck in his ear - Dad said you could see it.
    I have often wondered about this story, now I see this.

https://scontent.fcpt1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...d1&oe=5FEE64B4
    Brings new meaning to 'thick skulled'

Sounds like a lekker braai storie.

A very good friend of mine had the same thing happen to him, sadly died in a motor cycle accident a few years later. RIP Deem.

Quote Originally Posted by Spliffcat View Post
    A very good friend of mine had the same thing happen to him, sadly died in a motor cycle accident a few years later. RIP Deem.
    Ah man I was going for a happy ending... truth is it's more dangerous to own a motorcycle than a gun.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast