Default Ruger LCP (1st Gen): Upgrades/Mods/Accessories

Hello Everyone.

After toying around with the idea of a pocket pistol for a long time I got myself a Ruger LCP (1st generation) because of the really compact size and the cost. Yes I know there are many other options that are probably the better option at a much higher price point, and yes I know that these little things are not the best for defensive carry and I know they have flaws. I chose something that I can toy around with while carrying it as a back up/pocket pistol and entice the wife to shoot a bit more at the same time. At the price of a Ruger LCP I can spend a lot more on shooting the pistol for fun than say a S&W Bodyguard.

So with all of that out of the way, does anyone have one , and have some experience around the little bits to look out for, modification or upgrades that are required to get the best out of the little thing? Maybe tips on who stocks the upgrade components?

Any of the stores or accessories guys out there that have a mould to get a nice kydex holster made up and who stocks additional magazines? Do I need to import my own magazines?

While I'm waiting for licencing to be sorted, I will be getting my local dealer to get me a good cerakote on the slide, rather save the slide from rusting seeing that it is a problem in warmer climates.

Lets get this discussion going and maybe my excitement for my new blaster will build up even more.

User

Default Re: Ruger LCP (1st Gen): Upgrades/Mods/Accessories

Hi there

I have one and have done a fair bit of upgrading. First off do you have a lazer? One key upgrade was the Hogue grip...makes a world of difference with recoil. I have also had the recoil spring changed out (again recoil compensation) and also got a custom adjustable trigger to shorten the length of pull. As to holsters I use a pocket type, ankle and Versacarry. I was fortunate to buy spare mages with the pistol...but this was a few years ago.

Where are you based? If Gauteng happy to meet up so that you can do a live compare. DM me.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RI CAR View Post
    Hi there

I have one and have done a fair bit of upgrading. First off do you have a lazer? One key upgrade was the Hogue grip...makes a world of difference with recoil. I have also had the recoil spring changed out (again recoil compensation) and also got a custom adjustable trigger to shorten the length of pull. As to holsters I use a pocket type, ankle and Versacarry. I was fortunate to buy spare mages with the pistol...but this was a few years ago.

Where are you based? If Gauteng happy to meet up so that you can do a live compare. DM me.

Hey.

Awesome, I'm not the only crazy person which makes me comfortable now.

I don't have a laser. I have the standard pistol. I expect the recoil and will probably look at the grips at a later stage after shooting it a bit. Did you get the recoil spring and trigger as an off the shelf solution and where did you get them? I've heard that the importers are bringing in some goodies but prices and time line were not shared.

I'm keen for a meet up, I do end up in Jhb monthly. Let's hope that licence arrives soon!! I will DM u for details and we can arrange a meet.

User

All of my stuff was from the US... had it brought back by a mate.

Keen to see what is now available for it. Which dealers stock goodies?

Let me know when next you will be in Jhb and we can meet.

Quote Originally Posted by RI CAR View Post
    All of my stuff was from the US... had it brought back by a mate.

Keen to see what is now available for it. Which dealers stock goodies?

Let me know when next you will be in Jhb and we can meet.

Check your inbox in a bit, I'm sending you a PM.

As far as I know at the moment, spares etc. Are not available. Magaxines are coming in soon but I haven't been given an ETA.

I had the original LCP and left mine stock. Just could not get past the trigger. If there is an upgrade for the original PCP rmtrigger I'd say that should be your first priority. Spare mags for the 1 are at Dave Sheer Guns. Think they have about between 5 and 10 there for sale. So jump on that one. As I type this I have the LCP II in my pocket in a Ruget Pocket holster. I was making consistent hits at speed from 20M at 500ml bottles last Subday. The orecocked trigger is a god send also the grip is bigger. I found the original LCP was too small and in that I found too thin in the grip area. So i kinda clutched at the gun. Where the 2 does not suffer from this. So perhaps a huge oversold will do wonders for you. Good luck with the little gun. I ordered a don Hume. This is the only pocket hikster I use. I ordered for the LCP II a d they sent me the the 008 which is for the kelteck P3AT this is identical to the LCP 1. Think roger cribbed the design a bit there. So it will be the perfect fot for the LCP 1. Let me know if youbare interested. Failing that I will just advertise it to LCP owners on Gun Africa. I was bummed as I really like the Don Hume 001 pocket holsters and all guns I pocket carry ride in them i have a good few of them already but they are dedicated to model as they form-fit well

Thanks for the suggestion on the trigger. I will definitely look into trigger upgrades once I've spent enough time shooting it. What did u find was the issue with the trigger?

The hume holsters are definitely class but I'm not a leather holster guy. I prefer kydex because of dealing with humidity and pocket carry will definitely see a lot of moisture. Maybe as a temporary/2nd holster I may consider it and PM you for details in a few days.

Dave sheer is expecting new pinky extended magazines so I may just hold off on their current stock without the extension. I'd change my mind on that if I can the finger extension plates on its own locally. Dont want to spend time and effort importing

So where are all the other LCP people