Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: Kudu cow size and age

Treeman. As stated, in a group it gets easier. When standing on their own kudu cows are difficult to judge. As I am farming with cattle and sheep as well a sense has developed over the years to notice the proportions of female animals compared to other body parts. If a group of cows (cattle) stand together the younger ones can be as big as the old cows but they are "pretty" compared to the old ones. Still easy to discern. When the same cows are spread out the older ones and bigger ones can be noted. The backline sags a bit. The belly area starts hanging. The face gets longer. The cheeks start sagging. Ears hang more. The tuft of hair on the tailtip looks different than the youner ones. Deepness of body looks different. Agreed, when studying cattle one are close and also know ones herd by individuals. But even when driving past herds on the road the older ones can be spotted even when standing on their own.

With kudu the same. (With humans also. How do you judge a 20 vs 55 years old lady when standing on their own and at a distance? You just know....) With kudu cows the more dropped ears (difficult to describe), longer face and higher hump together with broader rump and sagged out belly region give them away for me. On my own farm the youngsters are also always lighter in colour.

For the average hunter doing an annual hunt and zipping past a few cattle next to a road now and then these pointers will definitely not help or sort it out for him. Take that same hunter and put pressure on him because time is constraint and he wants to fill his quota and very surely there will be youngsters that gets shot.

User

The head generally is more elongated in older cows. This plus a few other traits are generally a good starting point. Very old cows will be easily distinguished due to condition. Hair color is a give away but is area specific.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    (With humans also. How do you judge a 20 vs 55 years old lady when standing on their own and at a distance? You just know....)
    So essentially you have to think like a dude kudu and ask yourself "do I wanna date this one or buy it a toilet seat doilie?"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    So essentially you have to think like a dude kudu and ask yourself "do I wanna date this one or buy it a toilet seat doilie?"
    And then which one do you shoot?
    .I am thinking along the lines of the one that comes across as mother in law? - I mean you not going to shoot the one you have kinda fallen for are you ?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    And then which one do you shoot?
    .I am thinking along the lines of the one that comes across as mother in law? - I mean you not going to shoot the one you have kinda fallen for are you ?

Now that is an interesting question regarding the mother in law scenario,

I always try to shoot the older ones for biltong and droewors. The youngsters still have a life of breeding in front of them. The old fat cows are normally the ones not breeding anymore but still has excellent meat. If they get really old and thin (end of life, no more teeth etc") I just leave them to be. (Or those are the ones that gets shot for the mother in law...)

User

As I am farming with cattle and sheep as well a sense has developed over the years to notice the proportions of female animals compared to other body parts.
    I can do that with snakes. Old snakes are generally longer but the best way to tell, with snakes, believe it or not, is facial features.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I am thinking along the lines of the one that comes across as mother in law?
    No, you want to eat it, not burn it at the stake.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    No, you want to eat it, not burn it at the stake.
    Yes there is this to consider as well.

User

As I am farming with cattle and sheep as well a sense has developed over the years to notice the proportions of female animals compared to other body parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    I can do that with snakes. Old snakes are generally longer but the best way to tell, with snakes, believe it or not, is facial features.
    Sorry that came out wrong, I can judge a snake's AGE best by facial features.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2