User

Default I need help! - Upgrading my AR handguard

Good morning all, I need a bit of advice.

My AR has a 16” barrel with A2 front post and mid-length gas system. I currently have a Magpul mid-lenth handguard on. I would like to get an 15” extended hand guard on the AR so a can move my hands closer to the end of the barrel for more control. I see there are options such as the UTG Pro that has a cut-out for the A2 front post. Does anyone have any experience with this type of hand guard, and other makes I should look at? This nice thing about this option is that I don’t need to remove the front sight (I understand that some of them can be a pain in the backside to get off), I don’t need to buy a replacement front sight and still get the additional real estate on the longer handguard. The other option is to bite the bullet, remove the A2 front post, and get the free floating hand guard, front site and then also look at a low profile gas block, possibly even an adjustable gas block as well. However with this option I see a lot of money being spent, money that isn’t necessarily lying around at the moment, so I would really appreciate any help and guidance!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: I need help! - Upgrading my AR handguard

IMO.

Decide on a POA for the long term / end goal, plan a budget, acquire funds for purchase, then go...

I say this from experience, find something you want and rather work towards it than taking the next best option or what you can afford now. It will save you money in the long run.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hondsdol Meerkat View Post
    Good morning all, I need a bit of advice.

My AR has a 16” barrel with A2 front post and mid-length gas system. I currently have a Magpul mid-lenth handguard on. I would like to get an 15” extended hand guard on the AR so a can move my hands closer to the end of the barrel for more control. I see there are options such as the UTG Pro that has a cut-out for the A2 front post. Does anyone have any experience with this type of hand guard, and other makes I should look at? This nice thing about this option is that I don’t need to remove the front sight (I understand that some of them can be a pain in the backside to get off), I don’t need to buy a replacement front sight and still get the additional real estate on the longer handguard. The other option is to bite the bullet, remove the A2 front post, and get the free floating hand guard, front site and then also look at a low profile gas block, possibly even an adjustable gas block as well. However with this option I see a lot of money being spent, money that isn’t necessarily lying around at the moment, so I would really appreciate any help and guidance!

Buy a low profile gas block and a decent handguard. I've done it, so I can speak from experience.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod120014.aspx

User

Handguards and low profile gas blocks are available from Hailstorm if you decide to go that way.

If you are going to put a magnified optic on the gun (which I would suggest if you have one gun) the A2 front sight is going to become an irritation. You will nit need a back iron sight when you use a good magnified optic/scope.

If you are going with a non magnified RDS you can learn to live with the A2.

For me personally a cleaner sight picture or optic view is better.

User

Thanks for the responses gents, much appreciated! Is it worth it to look at an adjustable gas block while I am at it?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hondsdol Meerkat View Post
    Thanks for the responses gents, much appreciated! Is it worth it to look at an adjustable gas block while I am at it?

Imo it is worth it if you intend to load ammo specific to the gun and adjust/fine tune to the ammo and/or if you are going to use a std suppressor that does not have a gas dispersion system that minimises gas blow back .

User

That is why my mind is going in that route. I am reload my own ammo and the idea is to put a suppressor on at a later stage. What type of suppressor is another question all together! There is not a huge variety of of suppressors that offer gas dispersion in RSA that I could find. The OSS Helix looks awesome though! What are my options of good quality adjustable gas blocks here in South Africa?

User

IMO go with the free floating handguard and low profile gas block! As mentioned above buy once cry once! At the time when I bought mine the only reputable brand of gas block I could get was an adjustable one, having an adjustable gas block requires additional maintenance and cleaning to avoid it getting carbon locked and start leaking gas, which I'm guilty of not always doing! As also mentioned above the benefit of pop up sights is an unobstructed view which I consider a major bonus! Here is a good video from Chad of SOTAR on adjustable gas blocks

Then lastly for anything AR related contact Hailstorm first, they have the widest range of products and Gerrit is extremely knowledgeable on the platform! Personally I went with a BCM MLok handguard (is Keymod even still relevant these days if you're purchasing a NEW handguard!!?!) and an Ergo low profile adjustable gas block.