Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default I'm in the market

Hallo all. I'm in need of some info. I'm looking at getting an air rifle. Not a breakneck but something more accurate. I'm not very keen on co2. So I guess PCP is the option.

What do you guys suggest?? Around R15k all in.

I'm based in Gauteng. A bit of target shooting, bird shooting and just fun for me and the boys..

I'm really looking forward to any suggestions.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: I'm in the market

How old are your boys? If they are still quite small, smaller rifles will be better as it will be more enjoyable for them. If they are older/stronger then larger rifles wouldnt be a problem. For smaller kids a CZ200 (pcp) is a good choice or a Weirauch HW30S springer. Dont be discouraged by break barrel springers, good quality ones are very accurate as well.

The nice thing about springers are that they are self contained and do not need air tanks or other equipment. They are also not as expensive as pcps. The downside is that the higher powered springers are heavy and hard to cock. Springers also require some skill to shoot accurately wereas a pcp is more akin to a centerfire or rimfire in terms of ease of use.

HW30 is an awesome kids rifle. And the discipline of holding and follow through will be a useful training

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Getting a PCP with decent scope, refill method (cylinder or pump) all for R15K you will probably have to look at second hand.

I agree on the HW30, or if you insist on PCP a CZ200 for boys (and dad).

Have a look on airrifle.co.za, it is running again, there might be second hand rifles there, have not been there in a while.

If PCP Weihrauch HW100 in 5.5mm

User

How old and big are your boys?

Have just logged on to airrifle forum again, there are a few nice PCPs in the classifieds but not sure if these are still available.

User

Have a look at the Gamo CFX with a Gas Ram added. Simplicity of a springer, but more accurate than a break-neck and with the ability to mount a scope.

User

If you want a springer, the cream of the crop is either the Weihrauch HW97 (a few different versions exist) or Air Arms TX200. Both are underlever (ie fixed barrel), both are at close to the upper practical limit of power for a springer, very accurate and are rather heavy. They just ooze quality. I've never seen a TX200 with my own eyes but there are a few around. I've seen, handled & shot with several HW97's and I even own one. Used HW97's come up for sale around R6k-8k from time to time. Not sure what the new prices are like. You'll struggle to find better value for money but they are adult guns and if your boys are small and/or young they probably won't be able to cock them.

Banned

Side ways question - but I am sure it will assist the OP
    Is a Air Rifle accuracy not to a large extent dependent on the pellets used? I kind of thought a reasonable air rifle with top notch pellets was more accurate than a top notch rifle with Marksman pellets?

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Side ways question - but I am sure it will assist the OP
    Is a Air Rifle accuracy not to a large extent dependent on the pellets used? I kind of thought a reasonable air rifle with top notch pellets was more accurate than a top notch rifle with Marksman pellets?
    This is very true.

Not a scientific test and only one brand and type of not so well made pellets used in the test, but also from experience over many years.
    https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...iece-test-pack

Having said that, many pests fell to Marksman pellets in my youth, most of my springers shot very well with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast