Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2nd rifle.

User

Default Re: 2nd rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    The smallest caliber I would choose as a second hunting rifle is a 6.5mm. I have had considerable experience with the 6.5x55 and the 6.5 Creedmoor, there is no difference between the two as far as performance on game is concerned. The .260 rem falls between these two, so it will deliver the same performance.
    THIS !!!

Like you, I too have a 30-06. All my hunting done in the EC. I have used my 30-06 paired with a 150grain bullet for kudu down to springbok.

I also had 223 that was awesome to shoot and my son loved using it at the range. Unfortunately my local GS ruined it after fitting a suppressor. It kept on throwing out flyers and I lost all confidence in it.
    Must admitted that it became an issue before this as most farmers were unhappy for me to hunt with it. Lots of EC farmers won’t let you hunt with anything less than a 6mm.

I eventually upgraded my 223 to a 6.5mm Creedmoor with a heavy barrel.
    What an amazing rifle!!!!!
    My son loves shooting it, even more than the 223 due to its unbelievable accuracy, regardless of the idiot behind the trigger. The recoil is no existent and it’s not that heavy to carry.
    I now only hunt with my CM paired with a 140grain bullet and does exactly what my 30-06 did, just better. Much much better.
    Unfortunately my beautiful 30-06 Steyr has not seen the outside world in 2 years.

I don’t reload yet, but the CM is no more expensive to feed than my 30-06.

You won’t go wrong with a CM!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsieEC View Post

I eventually upgraded my 223 to a 6.5mm Creedmoor with a heavy barrel.

I now only hunt with my CM paired with a 140grain bullet and does exactly what my 30-06 did, just better. Much much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can’t ever see myself carrying a heavy barreled rifle in the veld again. Ever!

Also, the .30-06 will give you a much bigger margin for error when things don’t go according to plan.

If you have a heavy rifle with Bull.Varmint Barrel. The best is to use a sling that has stretch in it. As when you carry then the rifle feels way less heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I can’t ever see myself carrying a heavy barreled rifle in the veld again. Ever!

Also, the .30-06 will give you a much bigger margin for error when things don’t go according to plan.
    Even today's standard barrels are heavy compared to the light tapered barrels on rifles from years ago. The feel is night and day.

User

Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge and opinions shared in this post.

Once back in SA I'll pester a couple of friends for some range time with a 223 and 6.5 CM.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

User

I agree with the previous posters. I sold off most of my rifles, basically due to financial reasons, but kept my .30-06 (also a Musgrave), one shotgun and a .22. I was looking for a Howa in 6.5x55 to fill the gap. Then my brother emigrated and I took over his Howa in .270W and never looked back.

Also, I do not know how old your sons are, but there will come a time when both want to hunt and passing around one rifle between them becomes a drag. You can't hunt everywhere with a .223 as a previous poster said, as some farmers only allow .243 or even larger as minimum.

A 6.5 Swede/CRM/.260 Rem in any configuration makes good sense.

Looking for a 2nd (or third, fourth etc) rifle remains a lekker exercise, mixed with certainty, doubt, confusion due to all the options available, available budget (don't forget those extras, such as scope, mounts etc.), until you make the final "F@%& it, I'm buying this one!" decision.

To me it always feels similar to going on a "real" hunting trip... This one just takes a lot longer and the waiting and anticipation could lead to daydreaming on the job or when the spouse is talking to you....

Enjoy hunting for your second rifle!

User

Shooty, what would you consider to be plenty?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3